Current location in the site
The Council consists of 12 elected representatives – a mayor and 11 councillors - who are voted in by residents and ratepayers every three years. The elected representatives are drawn from four wards: Malvern (main town Darfield); Selwyn Central (main town, Rolleston); Springs (main town, Lincoln); and Ellesmere (main town, Leeston). Remuneration of elected members is set by the Remuneration Authority.
(a) Election of the mayor
(b) Election of eleven (11) councillors as follows:
- Ellesmere Ward: two (2) councillors
- Malvern Ward: two (2) councillors
- Selwyn Central Ward: four (4) councillors
- Springs Ward: three (3) councillors
(c) Election of five (5) members of the Malvern Community Board as follows:
- 3 members by the electors of the Hawkins subdivision
- 2 members by the electors of the Tawera subdivision
If you wish to stand in the Malvern Ward, your nominees must live in that Ward. You do not necessarily need to live in that Ward.
Inaugural Meeting – Post election:
The successful candidates will take office on the day after the electoral officer gives his official notification of the result of the election. However, no person is permitted to act as a member of the Council before making a declaration. This declaration will be made at the inaugural meeting, which is expected to be held in late October or early November 2016. Newly elected members will be contacted by staff with the key dates.
The business to be conducted at that meeting will include:
- The making and attesting of declarations required of the mayor, councillors and community board members.
- A general explanation of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 and other laws affecting elected members.
- The fixing of the date and time of the first ordinary meeting of the Council and community boards, or the adoption of the schedule of ordinary meetings.
- Election of the deputy mayor and community board chairpersons.
If elected the declaration required to be made by the mayor and councillors is as follows:
Declaration by Mayor and Councillors:
I declare that I will faithfully and impartially, and according to the best of my skill and judgement, execute and perform, in the best interests of Selwyn District Council, the powers, authorities, and duties vested in or imposed upon me as mayor (or as a member) of the Selwyn District Council by virtue of the Local Government Act 2002, the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, or any other Act.
Selwyn district is broken into four wards for election purposes. The four wards are:
- Ellesmere [PDF, 315 KB]
- Malvern [PDF, 277 KB] - Malvern Tawera & Hawkins Subdivisions [PDF, 1015 KB]
- Selwyn Central [PDF, 283 KB]
- Springs [PDF, 320 KB]
You can also enter your details to find out what ward you are in, on the Electoral Commission's enrol page.
Local Body elections are governed by the Local Electoral Act 2002 and further information on election procedure or standing as a candidate can be obtained from the Electoral Officer, Douglas Marshall.