Selwyn District - a great place to Live, Work, and Play!
Current location in the site
Discover places to go and things to do … take a tour, enjoy our parks, lakes and rivers, and ski on any of Selwyn’s six ski-fields! A great place to visit.
Links to the community directory, health services, education, sports and recreation clubs, history, art galleries, and libraries and relax at our cafés and wineries. A great place to live and play.
List, and find, local business in the Selwyn Business Directory; read the latest reports on Selwyn’s economy; look up workshops and events on the enterprise training timetable. A great place to do business.
Be Waterwise this Summer
Water is a precious resource and we need to use it carefully. Over summer, demand for water is much higher than in winter, as people use more water to maintain their lawns.
So that there is enough water to go around this summer, we are asking everyone to be careful about how they use water. Some areas like Rolleston also pay for their water based on metered use so reducing your water consumption will mean you spend less on water bills.
You can help manage your water consumption wisely by following these tips:
- Water your garden and lawn every few days rather than every day
- Water your garden and lawn outside of peak water usage hours (avoid 6am – 9am, and 4pm – 9pm). Watering in the early morning (before 6am) or late evening (after 9pm) will minimise evaporation loss. Also avoid watering in a Nor’ West as the water will quickly evaporate
- Using a watering can or hand watering plants by hose uses less water than a sprinkler
- Use a timer to avoid overwatering
- Use mulch or cover the soil with organic matter to keep the soil moist
- When planting choose drought resistant plants that don’t require a lot of water
- Wash your car with a bucket of water rather than a hose
- Inspect hoses and taps both indoors and outdoors to check for leaks
- Collect rainwater for use watering gardens and lawns
Published: Tuesday, 3 December
Precautionary - Lake Coleridge Water Supply
For events mid-Feb or earlier, apply by Dec 18
By giving your best Master Host tips
Timetable of Council services staff at Service Centres