Accessibility quick skip links

Alcohol Licensing

Current location in the site

Wine glasses on a bar

Want a new alcohol licence?

Licences can only be obtained through the Selwyn District Council.

If you are planning to sell alcohol you must have the correct licence and a host responsibility policy stating how you will care for your patrons. You must also have a duty manager who holds a manager's certificate on duty at all times, although there may be exceptions.

Changes to Alcohol Licensing - Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012

The new Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 came into force on 18 December 2013 and replaces the old Sale of Liquor Act 1989. The new Act changes some requirements for the licences and certificates that are issued. These pages have been updated to reflect those changes. All licence holders are required to comply with the new law.


All application forms have been updated. Please ensure you use the latest version on this website - they are different from previous years.

Information Sheets

An information sheet is available that describes the different types of licences available and how to make an application. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Local Alcohol Policy

Under the new law, Selwyn District Council is required to develop a Local Alcohol Policy for the District. The provisional policy has been appealed.

Objection to an Application for an Alcohol Licence

Licensing Process

On, off and club licences can take several months to process as various reports are required, and specified time periods must be allowed for the public to comment on the application.

All new licences are issued for one year (a probation year) and then normally will be renewed for a period of three years. If the Council, Police or Public Health indicate that the premises have been a concern during the previous licensed period, or the public object to your application, it may need to be determined by way of a public hearing by the District Licensing Committee.

If you require more information or assistance, please contact the Alcohol Licensing Team at Food & Health Standards on 03 365 1667.

District Licensing Committee

Applications for new or renewed licences including On, Off, Club and Special licences, and new and renewed Managers Certificates are determined by the District Licensing Committee.

Selwyn District Licensing Committee Annual Report to ARLA 2014 [PDF, 141 KB]

Read about the District Licensing Committee

Types of Licence

Bottles behind a bar
On Licence

This allows the sale and supply of alcohol for consumption in or on the specified licensed premises.

Beer bottles for take-away
Off Licence

Allows the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises.

Members only sign
Club Licence

Allows the sale and supply of alcohol on club premises only to club members, affiliates and guests of club members.

Bar set up in a marquee
Special Licence

Allows for the sale of alcohol at special occasions and events.

Temporary Authority

Allows the new owner of a licensed premises to trade on an existing licence until they obtain a new licence in their own name.

Manager on duty sign
Manager's Certificate

When alcohol is available for sale to the public, a manager who holds a current manager's certificate must be on duty.

Further Information

Staff use only:

Load Application Public Notice

Footer navigation list

© Selwyn District Council |