Public Warning System
Current location in the site
Some emergency events we receive prior warning about while others occur without warning. It is the latter of the two that generally cause the greatest impact, mainly for the reason that the public has not had the time to prepare. This is why it is important to always be prepared and have an emergency kit complete with food and water.
Where Civil Defence Emergency Management is advised of a coming event that poses a significant threat, we will attempt to warn the public using one or all of the following methods:
Note that the messages on the radio station may not be broadcast as direct from Civil Defence Emergency Management but may be included as part of the news and weather reports broadcast.
1) Via Selwyn Gets Ready. This internet database allows us to send text and email alerts to registered users. You can register your household on the website by clicking here.
2) This website (www.selwyn.govt.nz)
3) Radio Stations
The following radio networks have agreed to carry civil defence information and advice in an emergency :
- National Radio FM 101.7 / AM 675
- Newstalk ZB FM 100.1 / AM 1098
- Radio Live FM 99.3 / AM 738
Other stations may also carry civil defence information in an emergency, however some of their programming is pre-recorded and may not contain the most up-to-date information.