Meet Your Street
The Selwyn district is one of the fastest growing in New Zealand and we want all residents to feel like they are part of their community so they can make themselves at home. A supportive community helps migrants and newcomers to feel welcome. Getting to know the people who live nearby helps create a sense of belonging in your local area. Strengthening connections and trust in our communities contributes to a happier and safer neighbourhood for everyone.
Here in Selwyn we encourage neighbourhoods to organise their own local street gathering so you can get to know your neighbours.
Whether you’d like to run a mid-winter Christmas party, a street summer sports competition or an international cuisine evening with your neighbours, we currently have funding available and are offering a subsidy of up to $75 per street gathering through our Meet Your Street funding.
Ideas for your neighbourhood gathering:
- Street party
- Street BBQ
This is a great opportunity to bring your neighbours together. This fund is open year-round.
Who can apply?
- Anyone who lives in Selwyn is eligible to apply for Meet Your Street funding.
- Recognised Community Groups, Committees of Council and Businesses are not eligible to apply.
- Council employees are also ineligible.
Terms and Conditions:
- An application form must be submitted and approved by the Council Staff administering this fund prior to the gathering.
- The maximum amount of funding is up to $75.00.
- Payment is made after the event, and once receipts and a completed claim form have been received.
- The subsidy of $75.00 per gathering cannot be in conjunction with any other Council funding.
- Claims for reimbursement must be submitted no later than 30 days after the gathering, accompanied by the completed claim form with attached or scanned receipts. Claims are processed on the 20th of each month. Claim forms and supporting documentation should be submitted by the 15th to be included in the Council payment run.
- Selwyn District Council does not reimburse for alcohol.
- Only one application can be submitted per year (12 months since the street was last funded).
- As part of submitting your receipts and claim form, Council also require no less than one high resolution photo of the event and a small paragraph detailing how the event went and any good news stories/new connections made. This should include numbers of attendees.
- If you require more information on organising your own gathering please contact us at email@example.com
- If you would like to organise a community event in a public park/reserve that is aimed at the wider community or township rather than the residents of the street on which you live, please refer to the Selwyn Community Fund for funding opportunities.
- The Parks and Reserves Bylaw [PDF, 392 KB] applies and any arranged activity taking place in a Council Reserve requires prior approval by the Reserves Team.
Now that you have your Meet Your Street planned, take a look at some of the resources below to help get you started!