Meet Your Street
The Selwyn district is one of the fastest growing in New Zealand and we want all residents to feel part of their community so they can make themselves at home. A supportive community helps migrants and newcomers to feel welcome.
Getting to know the people who live nearby helps create a sense of belonging in your local area. Strengthening connections and trust in our communities contributes to a happier and safer neighbourhood for everyone.
Here in Selwyn we encourage all residents to get to know their neighbours!
Organise your own local street gathering!
Here in Selwyn we encourage neighbourhoods to organise their own local street gathering so you can get to know your neighbours.
Whether you’d like to run a mid-winter Christmas party, a street summer sports competition or a New Years' get together with your neighbours, we currently have funding available and are offering a subsidy of up to $75 per street gathering through our Meet Your Street funding.
Ideas for your neighbourhood gathering:
- Street party
- Kids' treasure hunt at your local park
- Sports event eg cricket match
- Street BBQ
This is a great opportunity to bring your neighbours together. This fund is open year-round so get thinking on what seasonal event you’d like to host!
Who can apply?
Anyone who lives in a neighbourhood in Selwyn is eligible to apply for Meet Your Street funding. Below are the terms and conditions for this fund;
- The maximum amount of funding is up to $75 upon receiving receipts and a completed claim form
- We cannot reimburse for alcohol
- The subsidy of $75 per gathering cannot be in conjunction with any other Council funding
- Only one application can be submitted per financial year (1 July–30 June)
- An application form must be submitted prior to the gathering
- Claims for reimbursement must be submitted no later than 30 days after the gathering, with a completed claim form and attached or scanned receipts.
If you require more information on either the Council's Meet Your Street events, or organising your own gathering please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Now that you have your Meet Your Street planned, take a look at some of the resources below to help get you started!