Variations & Amendments
If you make any changes to your construction details after your consent is granted that affect compliance with the building code will need to either apply for
- an amendment to your building consent, or
- a variation for minor changes.
Minor variation versus amendment
If you make a minor modification, addition or variation to your application or consent which doesn’t significantly alter the plans and specifications.
As a rule of thumb, a variation should be able to readily confirm that compliance is achieved or not reduced from what was consented.
You can only apply for a minor variation if your code compliance certificate has not yet been issued.
Where your changes result in a modification, addition or change of your application or consented plans and specifications that affects compliance with the building code.
As a rule of thumb, an amendment will require further review of revised supporting documentation to pass the satisfied on reasonable grounds test, along with the reissue of amended consent documents. Depending on the scope of the amendment, the building consent conditions and inspection requirements may also need to be changed.
You can apply for an amendment throughout the processing and inspecting phases of your build, and prior to a code compliance certificate being issued.
If you’re not sure whether a change is a minor variation or an amendment, contact us to discuss your specific project.
Applying for an amendment
You can apply for an amendment to your building consent online the same way as applying for building consent.
With your amendment please ensure
- your application clearly details what the amendment is,
- the change in value of the building work (if any) is recorded, and
- you provide all supporting documentation relevant to your amendment.
Include the following with your application
- amended plans using the most recent drawings highlighting with a cloud around the specific changes
- installation/construction details specific to the amendment
- any updates to the design memorandum if required.
If you made a one off application and do not want access to the AlphaOne system then you will need to
- complete a hard copy Application for PIM/BC [PDF, 274 KB], ticking 'Amendment to Building Consent', and
- then either bring this and supporting documents into to us, or
- email to email@example.com.
From here the process for your amendment is the same as for any application (see how to apply for a consent for details). Please note that the size of the amendment doesn’t relate in any way to the amount of time it may take to process your amendment.