We know that what we've consented doesn't always work on site for one reason or another. These changes can be managed through either

  • an amendment to your building consent, or
  • a variation for minor changes.

Where a discussion has been held onsite with an inspector, the inspection notice will clearly identify if an amendment or a minor variation is needed.

To help us manage these applications more efficiently, please use the correct process. If any stage you're not sure what's needed please contact us to clarify or discuss your specific project.

Minor variation versus amendment


This is where you make a minor modification, addition or variation to your consent which doesn’t significantly alter the consented plans and specifications.

A minor variation

  • will generally be agreed and signed off by the inspector onsite
  • can only be applied for if your code compliance certificate has not yet been issued.

As a rule of thumb, a minor variation should be able to readily confirm that compliance is achieved or not reduced from what was consented.

You can apply for one by completing the minor variations form and upload along with the revised document(s) to AlphaOne as a minor variation under the required documents area.


This is where your changes result in a modification, addition or change of your consented plans and specifications that affects compliance with the building code.

An amendment

  • should have your changes clearly marked with a cloud and a clear description of what has changed
  • have all revised supporting documentation provided with your application to allow the building control officer to be satisfied that the changes comply with the building code
  • can be applied for at any time during your build, but it must be before the code compliance certificate is issued
  • may change the building consent conditions and inspection requirements depending on the scope of the changes
  • can’t be approved for work that has already been carried out or covered up and unable to be inspected
  • puts your project on hold, and you will not be able to book any inspections until the amendment is approved.

As a rule of thumb, an amendment will need further review of revised supporting documentation to pass the satisfied on reasonable grounds test, and reissue of amended consent documents.

We have 20 working days in which to process your amendment, therefore you will need to think about this when amending anything if you don’t want to delay your build.

Applying for an amendment

You can apply for an amendment to your building consent online the same way as applying for building consent.

With your amendment please ensure

  • your application clearly details what the amendment is,
  • the change in value of the building work (if any) is recorded, and
  • you provide all supporting documentation relevant to your amendment.

Include the following with your application

  • amended plans using the most recent drawings highlighting with a cloud around the specific changes
  • installation/construction details specific to the amendment
  • any updates to the design memorandum if required.

If you made a one off application and do not want access to the AlphaOne system then you will need to

From here the process for your amendment is the same as for any application (see how to apply for a consent for details). Please note that the size of the amendment doesn’t relate in any way to the amount of time it may take to process your amendment.

Changes to plans and specifications before issue of your building consent

Any changes to your application before your building consent is issued are considered draughting or specification changes and will be dealt with during the initial consent processing and RFI stages.