Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your feedback is important to us, providing us with the opportunity to improve our performance.

Whether you have an enquiry, need assistance resolving an issue or would like to provide us with feedback or a compliment related to our building control functions – there are a number of ways in which you can get in touch with us.

Our Building Advisory Team is your first port of call and can be contacted as follows:

  • Online form – for complaints or compliments please complete our online form
  • Email –
  • In person – Environmental Services counter at Selwyn District Council headquarters, 2 Norman Kirk Drive, Rolleston
  • Phone – 347 2839 (or Darfield exchange free-phone HelpLine – 318 8338 and ask for the Building Department)


For any questions relating to building start with our Frequently Asked Questions. If you have further queries or need information relating to a specific build or building contact our Building Advisory Team .

Feedback and compliments

We appreciate hearing about the good things that we do – so please feel free to share your feedback and compliments with us by completing our online form.


As a building consent authority we take all complaints seriously. All complaints are recorded and actioned promptly. To make a complaint please complete our online form. Alternatively you can contact us via one of the above listed methods. The information we require is:

  • Date incident occurred
  • Nature of complaint (vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule)
  • Copies of any supporting information (if applicable)
  • Name and contact details – to enable us to respond to you

Your complaint will be responded to within 5 working days of receipt of your complaint, where you may be asked further information to allow us to investigate your complaint through a fair review process. We will keep you informed of progress during any investigations if required. Our aim is to resolve complaints within 20 working days. There may be situations where your complaint needs to be directed elsewhere, in which case we will let you know and point you in the right direction. If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, you have a right to appeal and request a review of the decision. All appeals must be made in writing setting out the reasons why you disagree with the decision.

What else can I do?

If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute you may apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment for a Determination.

Selwyn District Council Building -  Send Feedback and Compliments

(as relevant)

(3,000 char max, upload a Word file if extra needed)

Files must be Word, PDF or Image and under 5mb

Files must be Word, PDF or Image and under 5mb

Files must be Word, PDF or Image and under 5mb

Security key  Use accessible validation
Can't read the security key? Click here to get a new key

NOTE: If you received submission errors you will need to re-attach any files.