You can still apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC). Providing Council is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building work has been constructed to comply with the building code in place at the time of construction and has continued to meet the provisions of the building code (this includes maintenance), a code compliance certificate may be considered.

If Council cannot be satisfied on reasonable grounds, a code compliance certificate may be refused.

If the building consent is issued under the Building Act 1991, the code compliance certificate is issued against the building code that was in place at the time the building consent was granted. There is no statutory timeframe in which Council need to consider the CCC application for consents issued under the 1991 Building Act.

Should Council refuse to issue a code compliance certificate and you consider that this is not justified then you can approach the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment to obtain a determination.