Where can I find out more information about the new quality standards for rental properties?
The Tenancy Services section of MBIE can provide further information on the new quality standards for rental properties.

Is it law yet?
Yes. The Residential Tenancies (Smoke Alarms and Insulation) Regulations 2016 came into force on 1 July 2016.

What is the purpose of the changes?
The changes aim to make homes warmer, drier and safer for hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders without imposing excessive bureaucracy or cost.

What Zone is Selwyn District?
Selwyn is located in Zone 3.

What grade of insulation do I have to install?
Minimum of R3.3 to ceiling spaces.
Minimum of R1.3 to subfloor spaces.
Refer to the regulations for further detail.

Can I use foil insulation to insulate my subfloor space?
No. On 1 July 2016 the Ministry (MBIE) issued a ban on installing foil insulation in residential buildings with electrical systems installed, due to the concern associated with the method of attaching the foil to the building, which presents a serious electrocution hazard.

What will happen if I ignore the Ban?
It is considered an offence under Section 27 of the Building Act 2004 to breach a ban. Any person who breaches a ban is liable on conviction to a fine of up to $200,000.

Do I have to insulate the walls?
No. The regulations specifically require insulation to ceiling spaces and subfloor spaces. Walls are not included due to the fact that it is not reasonably practicable to install insulation in the walls of an existing dwelling without doing considerable building work.

What do I have to do if there is already some insulation in the ceiling?
Refer to the regulations for further detail of what qualifying insulation is and to determine whether it is in reasonable condition.

Does the work have to be carried out to a standard?
Yes. The regulations require any work in respect of insulation to be carried out in accordance with NZS4246:2006.