A Geotech report will be required if your land is identified as being in an area that is susceptible to liquefaction.

A report will also be required for areas  where other natural phenomenon such as loess or faultlines are present.

For a map of liquefaction zones refer to page 17 of the 2012 Environment Canterbury (ECan) report reviewing liquefaction hazard information. Also, if you obtain a Project Information Memorandum prior to applying for your building consent, this will confirm whether you require a full geotech report to be included in your building consent documentation or a general soil report will be sufficient.