Activity Advertising Signs shall only be erected on properties where they directly relate to the activity being undertaken on the property.

A Resource Consent may be required if you wish to erect an Advertising Sign which does not relate to the activity undertaken on the subject site. Such signs are referred to as Remote Advertising Signs.

Please read the Residential Zones Rules or Rural Zones Rules in the District Plan.

Please note that permission is required from the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) for any community signs on State Highways. A community sign is any sign not exceeding 9sqm in areas which may be permitted by Council in consultation with Transit New Zealand. Such signs will also require resource consent.

If you are unsure if your sign will comply with relevant rules, contact the Duty Planner on (03) 347-2868 or email us at