Active Transport For School Children
In Term 2 we have a new campaign for schools called Active Autumn.
The campaign runs from 1 to 31 May. It involves two exciting competitions along with information for families.
The three main goals of this campaign are:
- to encourage activity and active transport as the weather cools
- to reduce congestion at the school gate
- to continue to develop essential road safety and risk assessment skills
Active Autumn Walk or Wheel Challenge
Walk or wheel to or from school and get your passport stamped to be in to win one of three 2018 MGP Scooters, new helmets and back pack covers!
Poster Design Competition
Get creative and be in to win one of three Pedalmania visits for your school by creating a poster around ‘Walking or wheeling is good for me because…’’ along with a new helmet for yourself! Mayor Sam will be helping to judge the winners!!
Active Transport Info Flyer
To support this campaign we have developed a flyer to go home detailing the benefits of getting active along with practical steps on how to do this for busy families.
Road Safety Tips for Caregivers:
- Talk to your children about long driveways and how to look and listen for cars.
- Explain what backing lights are, show them what they look like and to stop if they see them until they are sure the driver has seen them.
- Helmets are a legal requirement when riding a bicycle and may save a life, model the right behaviour and wear one too.
- Scooters belong on the footpath not the road.
Ideas for Caregivers to help your learners be active and earn a stamp:
- Park a block or two away from school and walk or scoot to the school crossing.
- Speak to other families near your home about meeting up and walking as a group a few times a week.
Ideas for Schools to help your learners be active and earn a stamp:
- Set up an obstacle course around the school field for a before school or lunch time lap
- Hold a Wheels Day or Fancy Feet Day
- Go for a lunchtime rubbish rummage or autumn leaf bingo hunt around the school.
- On rainy days ask your seniors to run indoor activities like GoNoodle, Cosmic Kids yoga or Jump Jam.
For further information or to join your school up contact firstname.lastname@example.org