In Selwyn District, we have a high number of crashes involving older people compared to the rest of New Zealand. It is very important that we continue to upskill mature drivers, so they can continue driving for as long as possible. As part of our local road safety programme, we offer free courses and events to the older driver to increase their safety and confidence while driving.
Driving Skills Refresher Course
This course is designed for all drivers over the age of 60. Being able to continue driving safely and for as long as possible is very important to our wellbeing. This course will help you and your family stay safer on the road and will:
- refresh your knowledge of the road rules and go over any new changes
- encourage you to think about how, where and when you drive
- give you the opportunity to discuss, ask questions about everyday driving situations and conditions
An occupational therapist, driving instructor and the police will all be involved, giving interactive presentations, and answering any questions that you may have.
Morning tea is provided. The course is designed to be informative, thought provoking, while being relaxed and informal. You will also receive a Certificate of Attendance and the opportunity to book in for a discounted driving lesson.
To find out more and register your interest, please contact the Road Safety Education Coordinator at the Council, (03) 347 1867 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting Older Drivers
If you have an older friend or relative who is still driving, you can support them to be able to keep driving safely by:
- keep a check on whether they’re still able to drive safely
- planning ahead so they can get around safely and easily if they have to stop driving for any reason.
This booklet suggests ways you can help them stay mobile for as long as possible – with or without a car: Supporting Older Drivers [PDF, 962 KB]