40km/h School Sign
These advisory signs were approved for use in New Zealand by New Zealand Transport Agency in 2014. The Selwyn District has these signs installed at the following locations:
- Broadfield School (Robinsons Road)
- Burnham School (Godley Road)
- Dunsandel School (Irvines Road)
- Glentunnel School (Homebush Road – SH77)
- Greendale School (Greendale Road)
- Hororata School (Bealey Road)
- Ladbrooks School (Barnes Road)
- Rolleston Christian School (Springston Rolleston Road)
- Weedons School (Weedons Ross Road)
- Windwhistle School (Rakaia Gorge Road – SH77)
The definition of “When Children Present”:
If the words “WHEN CHILDREN PRESENT” are displayed on or with a school zone sign, the words are to be taken to mean that the advisory speed displayed on the sign applies when a child is present in the school zone.
Relating to a school zone, if it is proved that a person was present in the school zone area and evidence is given that the person appeared to the witness to be a child, it will be presumed that the person was a child in the absence of proof to the contrary.
School children are present in the school zone if they are anywhere on the road between the advisory school zone sign and the school zone ends sign. Road is defined in the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 and includes the roadway used by vehicles, shoulders, footpaths and road margins.
Child means a person under the age of 18 years, and includes a student of any age.
Background to the installation of these signs
- Prior to the installation of the signs perception surveys and vehicle speed surveys were undertaken in May 2011.
- The signs were installed during August and September 2011.
- Post-installation perception surveys and vehicle speed surveys were undertaken in November 2011.
- A comprehensive questionnaire survey of each school community was undertaken in June 2012.
- A second post-installation vehicle speed survey was undertaken at each school in June 2012.
- The trial ended in December 2012, and a report of the trial findings [PDF, 926 KB] was presented to NZTA for their final decision.
View the NZTA gazette notice [PDF, 70 KB] for the trial.