Boil Water Notices
What to do when a boil water notice is issued in your area?
We understand that a boil water notice is inconvenient however, protecting our residents from health risks is our priority.
When a boil water notice is issued, affected people should continue to boil their water (for at least one minute) until advised the water is safe again.
The boil water notice process:
- When contamination occurs in our reticulated network, we first issue a boil water notice to the affected residents via different channels:
- Letter drops to affected properties
- E-text or email sent to all affected ratepayers (who have registered their contact details with us)
- E-text or email sent to the affected non-ratepayers residents who have subscribed to our water alerts
- Media release which goes to all media outlets plus CDHB, elected members, etc.
- News story posted on our website
- Facebook post
- The reservoir and reticulation are then chlorinated to disinfect the supply from any possible contamination.
- A detailed investigation of network is carried out to identify the source of contamination and manage the issue.
- Daily water sampling continues until we confirm three clear sample results, when free of chlorine disinfection.
- Once a Boil Water Notice can be lifted, we follow the same steps as outlined in number 1- above to inform the community
Important: residents with a restricted water supply are advised to disinfect their water storage tank(s). Refer to our guidelines [PDF, 33 KB]
How to subscribe to receive our alerts
Ratepayers' contact details
- Ratepayers contact details are automatically added to our emergency alerts database. If you have shared your mobile phone and/or email address with us; we will use these details to send you boil water notices.
- To update your contact details, please use our online form to update your ratepayers' contact details.
Resident but not a ratepayer?
- If you are not a ratepayer, we may not have your contact details in our database.
- Please fill in our online form to subscribe to our boil water notices as a non-ratepayer and receive these alerts via email or/and text.