In this section

Before filling in this form

  • One domestic water connection is allowed per property title/valuation number at all times. For commercial activities, approval for new connections may be sought.
  • For domestic new connections, check the water supply availability in the area. When the water supply is ‘open’ you may proceed with choosing a contractor to complete the work; either the Council's maintenance contractor SICON Ltd (ph. 03 318 8320 ; email: or any qualified private contractor to carry out the work.
  • You must submit this form to the Council at least 8 working days prior to commencement of connection work (10 working days for water main shut-down).
  • You must declare in the form that the work carried out by your private contractor will meet the Selwyn District Council’s Infrastructure design standards [PDF, 2078 KB] and submit the As- built form  [PDF, 149 KB] to the Council two workings days after completion at the most.
  • Check on whether your onsite activities require a backflow prevention device to be installed.
  • Check on other authorisations you might need to apply for to complete your project.
  • Important: Any work which involves connecting to the Council’s water main must be supervised by SICON Ltd.

    Applicant details
    (if applicable)
    (this field is mandatory)
    (this address will be used for all communication)
    (this field is mandatory)
    (this address will be used by SICON Ltd to bill the supervision of approved work)
    Property Details
    (please add resource consent number in field if applicable)
    (please add building consent number in field if applicable)
    (Add full address or name of new development)
    (add the valuation number in this field)
    (this can be a company name for a new development)
    (this field must be a valid email address)
    Applicant declaration
    Use drop down menu below - The Council contractor SICON will contact you to arrange for the supervision or the entire connection work to be carried out.
    If you prefer engaging a private contractor, you must declare that: Applicable to customers who are not engaging SICON to complete the work
    If you are not engaging the Council maintenance contractor SICON Ltd.
    (applicant name)
    New connection details
    (this is required to determine the level of backflow prevention required)
    (Enter DD/ MM/ YYYY in the field below)
    Please let us know how many units you would like to request. Your request will be assessed by our engineer.
    (number only)
    (number only)
    Chlorination completed? (if known)
    Pressure testing complete? (if known)
    (add company's name, if applicable)
    Please attach any supporting document here

    Security key

     Use accessible validation
    Can't read the security key? Click here to get a new key