You need to be enrolled to be able to vote.

You can enrol to vote if:

  • You are 18 years or older and
  • You are a NZ citizen, permanent resident, or resident visa holder and
  • You have lived in New Zealand for one year or longer continuously at some point.

*If you are Cook Island Māori, Niuean, Tokelauan or Australian you can enrol to vote once you have lived in New Zealand for a year even if you do not have residency yet.

If you’re enrolled to vote for the parliamentary elections, then you’re automatically enrolled for local elections too. If you’re enrolled, you would have received an enrolment update pack from the Electoral Commission in the mail in July.

If you didn’t receive an enrolment update pack, you’re either not enrolled or you need to update your enrolment details. The deadline for updating your enrolment details was 12 August 2022.

Enrolling after 12 August

If you enrol or change your address after Friday 12 August 2022, you won’t get your voting papers sent to you in the mail. You’ll have to request special voting papers from the council’s electoral officer: email

The last day to enrol to vote in the local elections is Friday 7 October.

Find out more about special voting and how to vote in the Selwyn local elections.  
How to vote

For more information on voting in the 2022 local elections, visit the Electoral Commission’s Vote NZ website

Key dates

  • Thursday 30 June 2022 Electoral Commission starts sending out enrolment update packs.
  • Friday 12 August 2022 is the last day to enrol to receive voting papers by mail.
  • Friday 7 October 2022 is the last day to enrol for the local elections.

If you need help with enrolling or have accessibility needs, the Electoral Commission can help: Get help to enrol – Electoral Commission.

How to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer

Wherever you pay rates you can vote. If you own property in Selwyn district but live elsewhere you may be able to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer elector and vote in both areas.

You can check your eligibility and enrol by visiting the Ratepayer Elector Enrolment Portal.

You can also complete and sign the Ratepayer Enrolment Form [PDF, 169 KB] and return it before Friday 12 August 2022 via one of the following methods:

  • Email:
  • Post: Ratepayer Elector Enrolments, PO Box 3138, Christchurch 8140
  • In person: drop it off at the Council offices, 2 Norman Kirk Drive, Rolleston.

You can only enrol, or be nominated to enrol, once in each Council area, no matter how many properties you own in that area. For more information, visit Ratepayer Roll registration.