Please find here details of my Non-Profit business Food Art Science – Turn your harvest into North Indian Cuisine. This idea originated when I attended these multi-cultural social groups where I was bringing my Indian dishes for sharing. And I found that everyone loved my Indian cuisine, were curious to know and appreciated our culture, our vibrant dresses and they kept talking about it. Many people were surprised to know that I have been vegetarian my whole life and wanted to learn how to cook vegetarian dishes. I then thought of spreading my love for Indian Cuisine by not only teaching cooking but also growing from seeds to the Selwyn and Christchurch community.
Main activities and services
Here, in my classes, everyone is included, everyone is welcome, no matter their age, language, gender, or ethnicity. I run my classes on different days and times to help
1. Home-stay mums having their own time in creating a new meal, eating, and chatting in a fun environment
2. Men to learn and develop their cooking skills further and networking
3. Senior members who have lost their mojo of cooking or tasting the same cuisine. This new activity can help rejuvenate their love of food
4. Not only adults but children from 5+ and youth to learn this essential life skill from the outset, growing from seeds, cooking and eating healthy meals
5. Those who are working late or on weekends but still don’t want to miss the fun
The main focus is on Environment Sustainability. I can help people use their organic harvest to cook healthy vegetarian meals. Rest ingredients can be brought in bulk from Indian stores in their own boxes, reducing plastic packaging waste. We expect to have a tour of Indian shops to help you understand deeply about Indian products and dining in an Indian restaurant at some stage.
My goal is to use fresh seasonal vegetables and cater to the different needs of the community esp. vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free besides simply vegetarian food. I am also the committee member of Christchurch Vegan Angels and help in not only promoting but also volunteering cooking and delivering free vegan food to people in need.
Happy to say that being a member of Selwyn Timebank, I love my time volunteering my demonstrations between different aged and multicultural members.