In this section
Our objectives for rates are to:
- Provide a fair and equitable rating system for the Selwyn District.
- Ensure that all ratepayers make an equitable and reasonable contribution to the cost of the available services.
- Ensure, as far as is practicable, that the distribution of costs amongst the various groups of ratepayers reflects the available services.
- Ensure that the rating system is flexible enough to address any special circumstances within separately defined areas.
Rates and charges will be charged as per relevant legislation, with consideration to any relevant High Court decisions. Charges will relate to our aims and objectives for an equitable rating base.
The rating system provides for the net funding requirement of the Council’s programme as stated in the annual budget.
Rating By Instalments
Rates are payable in four instalments. You may choose to pay the whole years rates in one sum, by the due date of the second instalment. Whole-year payments made after this date may incur additional penalty charges.
An additional charge of 10% will be added to each instalment which is not paid by its due date. An additional 10% penalty will be added to all unpaid rates as at 1 July each year.
Additional charges may be refunded in accordance with the following criteria:
- All applications must be in writing.
- All rates must be paid in full, as a general rule, before a refund is considered.
- Refunds will generally be given where late payment has arisen due to sickness, death, age or other acceptable genuine reasons.
- Removal of second and subsequent additional charges may happen where satisfactory arrangements are in place for regular payment of arrears.
- Refunds of penalties will be treated on a case by case basis.
The Council acts as agent for the collection of rates for Environment Canterbury who determine their own rate levels and policies.