In this section

Consent processing timeframes and inspections workload

We’re still receiving a very high volume of consent applications and bookings for inspections. This means you may see:

  • some slippage in consent processing time frames
  • a small number of days over the coming weeks where we have no choice but to limit inspection numbers to help us get through the workload.

We are doing our best to keep up with what is a very busy period for everyone and want to work with you to minimise the impact on your business. Please do contact us if you have major concerns or want to discuss ways that we can work together better to achieve good outcomes for everyone.

You can help us by:

  • loading documents correctly into AlphaOne
  • prompt RFI responses with only relevant pages provided with changes clouded for identification
  • ensuring sites are ready for inspection from 7.30am on the day of inspections - inspections will still be charged if the site is not ready for a booked inspection
  • using the AlphaOne portal to check the status of your consent and inspections to help reduce call numbers
  • letting us know early if you need help with your application
  • paying for consents when they’re issued or letting us know if your project is not going ahead
  • ensuring all required documents are uploaded at least the day before the relevant inspection – this is particularly important for final inspections to streamline the code compliance process.

We are grateful to the support of our external contractors helping us with our current workload.

Inspection updates


We understand that sometimes inspections don’t always go in the order expected for any number of reasons.

To help keep things moving for you and avoid issues with booking inspections out of order, we will book what you ask for, even if it is slightly out of sequence.

You are however responsible for ensuring

  • that you are ready for the inspection that you have booked
  • inspections are still booked in the appropriate sequence for your build
  • that no inspections are missed

If the inspector gets to site and an inspection has been missed then your project will likely be put on hold, with no further inspections able to be booked until resolved.

Approved consent plans on site

You will need to have your approved consent documents onsite either

  • electronically on a device with a minimum screen size equivalent to an A4 piece of paper (not a mobile phone), OR
  • as a clear readable printed copy (you will need to provide these yourself as we no longer print documents for customers).

If we arrive on site and the documentation is not available or doesn’t meet the above conditions then we won’t be able to carry out your inspection. We may however charge you for our visit.

For more information see our information on inspections.

Entering LBP and site contact details on AlphaOne

You can now enter LBP and site contact details yourself on AlphaOne once you have these details available. No need to contact us to do this for you.

To access this feature

  • click on the blue Action button to pull down the menu
  • select LBP/Site Contacts to go to the screen to enter in details

Please make sure you enter site and LBP contact details before you book your first inspection. Providing this information up front will:

  • make your inspection bookings faster and more efficient
  • help ensure inspections are not failed or stopped by an inspector due to not having these details available.

Customer promise

We are committed to delivering high quality, professional regulatory building control and associated services to customers through:

  • the provision of high quality and consistent customer service
  • ensuring new and altered buildings in the Selwyn District are of a high standards through compliance with the Building Act 2004 and building code
  • striving for continuous improvement in systems and procedures.

Our aim is to:

  • make the process of applying for, and obtaining, an approved building consent as simple and as easy as possible
  • not compromise technical accuracy
  • determine all applications within statutory timeframes.

Tips for your build

  • We cannot do design work for you but we can advise on how to go about organising building and resource consent applications
  • Doing your research early can save time and money later, by identifying the need for specific design or other technical reports
  • Don't take the risk of building without first getting a building consent – that is illegal and may result in enforcement action
  • Complete any remedial work advised by an inspector before you proceed to the next stage of work - otherwise you could be liable for enforcement action
  • Skipping inspections can be costly – missed inspections or work covered up prematurely could mean that you will have to undo work to enable building work to be inspected before we can issue a code compliance certificate for the completed construction.


Use information on our website as a starting point. If you have any further questions or need information about a specific build or building consent contact our Building Advisory team via:

  • Online form – for feedback, compliments or complaints
  • Email –
  • In person – Selwyn District Council headquarters, 2 Norman Kirk Drive, Rolleston
  • Phone – 03 347 2839 (or Darfield exchange free-phone Helpline – 03 318 8338 and ask for the Building Department).