In this section
We are committed to delivering high quality, professional regulatory building control and associated services to customers through
- The provision of high quality and consistent customer service
- Ensuring new and altered buildings in the Selwyn District are of a high standards through compliance with the Building Act 2004 and building code
- Striving for continuous improvement in systems and procedures.
Our aim is to
- make the process of applying for, and obtaining an approved building consent as simple and as easy as possible
- not compromise technical accuracy
- determine all applications within statutory timeframes.
Tips for your build
- We cannot do design work for you but we can advise on how to go about organising building and resource consent applications
- Doing your research early can save time and money later, by identifying the need for specific design or other technical reports
- Don't take the risk of building without first getting a building consent – that is illegal and may result in enforcement action
- Complete any remedial work advised by an inspector before you proceed to the next stage of work - otherwise you could be liable for enforcement action
- Skipping inspections can be costly – missed inspections or work covered up prematurely could mean that you will have to undo work to enable building work to be inspected before we can issue a code compliance certificate for the completed construction.
Use information on our website as a starting point. If you have any further questions or need information about a specific build or building consent contact our Building Advisory team on