In this section
Services under Alert Level 2
Our team are continuing to work, some remotely, and others in the office.
They will be available to answer any of your queries, accept and process new applications and required documents and carry out inspections.
Please ensure you check Council requirements for any visits to our Rolleston office.
Getting ready for inspections
- Read our information on inspections protocols under Alert Level 2
- Familiarise yourself with the latest Covid health, safety and wellbeing protocols for the industry
- Be patient while we manage the workload and work with us to help keep Selwyn building going
- Look after yourselves, your people and our people on site
- Feel free to use the inspection booking app – which is available again at Alert Level 2.
Staying in touch with us
- Call our Customer Services line and they will get your message to us – 0800 SELWYN (735 996)
- Respond through AlphaOne – this is the quickest way to get information directly to the person working on your project
As a reminder, if alert levels extend or move to other levels there will be changes to the level of services we can offer to our customers. See our summary of services we can provide to you at each COVID-19 Alert Level.
As a building consent authority Selwyn District Council is responsible for processing building consent applications within Selwyn district.
In this section of our website you can find out all the relevant information on what is involved in getting a building consent.
Building consent processing update
The unprecedented amount of building happening in Selwyn district continues, with more applications coming in a day then our team can physically process. Recruitment is continuing for new staff and contractors to help with the level of applications and inspections in the district.
We are doing our best to keep up with what is a very busy period for everyone and want to work with you to minimise the impact on your business.
So please allow plenty of buffer with your timeframes. The below update may be helpful for planning.
What's the current situation?
We continue to deal with a record number of consent applications received month on month, well over and above our predictions.
This is creating a backlog with
- processing which is currently extending over the 20 working day statutory timeframe
- high volumes of required documents being submitted
- inspection bookings on a number of days
What does this mean for me?
- Please stay patient and plan ahead
- Your application may go over the 20 working day processing timeframe
- Please be assured that we will get to your consent – calling us to check on current status of your application takes us away from processing it
- You may need to allow more time than normal to complete your build as the workload flows through to inspections
What can I do to help things go more smoothly?
- You can track progress of your application using our online electronic consenting system AlphaOne. If you don't have access:
- ask your agent to provide you with access, or
- create your own login and contact us on 0800 SELWYN (735 996) - providing us with your building consent number so that we can give you access
- Load documents correctly into AlphaOne – look at our information on how to supply your supporting documents on our website
- Provide prompt RFI responses with only relevant pages provided with changes marked with a cloud for identification
- Let us know early if you need help with your application
- Pay for consents when they're issued or let us know if your project isn’t going ahead
- Have your site ready for inspection from 7.30am on the day of inspection - inspections will still be charged if the site is not ready for a booked inspection
- Give yourself plenty of buffer with your timeframes for potential delays – for example building supply shortages or substitution of products that need a formal amendment to your consent
- Don’t leave your required documents to the last day – load them into the AlphaOne portal at least one day before the relevant inspection; particularly important for final inspections to streamline the code compliance process
- Do contact us if you have major concerns or want to discuss ways that we can work together better to achieve good outcomes for everyone.
We are committed to delivering high quality, professional regulatory building control and associated services to customers through:
- the provision of high quality and consistent customer service
- ensuring new and altered buildings in the Selwyn District are of a high standards through compliance with the Building Act 2004 and building code
- striving for continuous improvement in systems and procedures.
Our aim is to:
- make the process of applying for, and obtaining, an approved building consent as simple and as easy as possible
- not compromise technical accuracy
- determine all applications within statutory timeframes.
Tips for your build
- We cannot do design work for you but we can advise on how to go about organising building and resource consent applications
- Doing your research early can save time and money later, by identifying the need for specific design or other technical reports
- Don't take the risk of building without first getting a building consent – that is illegal and may result in enforcement action
- Complete any remedial work advised by an inspector before you proceed to the next stage of work - otherwise you could be liable for enforcement action
- Skipping inspections can be costly – missed inspections or work covered up prematurely could mean that you will have to undo work to enable building work to be inspected before we can issue a code compliance certificate for the completed construction.
Use information on our website as a starting point. If you have any further questions or need information about a specific build or building consent contact our Building Advisory team via: