Your home, workplace or property may need a building assessment after it is damaged in a major event to ensure it is safe to enter, occupy and doesn’t risk the safety of others.

This assessment needs to be done by a suitably qualified professional.

Following an emergency event, you’re responsible for

  • making sure your home, multi-unit dwelling, commercial or industrial building is still structurally sound after any event (eg flood, fire, earthquake etc)
  • complying with your health and safety obligations
  • continuing to meet tenancy, lease and any other contracts
  • assisting our building inspectors to carry out their inspections on your building after an event.

To help you return to your house or building safely after an emergency event we’ve provided information and checklists below