In this section

  • Hairdressers

    Requirements for hairdressing salons in order to meet public health standards.

  • Noise

    About the kinds of noise we cover and how to contact us to make a complaint.

  • Contact Details

    Contact details for Food and Health

  • Amusement Devices

    It is the Local Authority's responsibility to both register Amusement Devices that operate in the district and to inspect the compliance of their operation.

  • Animals In Towns

    Guidelines on keeping animals (other than cats and dogs) in a Selwyn town. Links to information on building a shelter for your animals.

  • Environmental Health Fees

    list of fees for environmental health in Selwyn District

  • Hazardous Substances

    Contact details for hazardous substances organisations

  • Illegally Dumped Rubbish

    We receive a wide variety of complaints about dumped rubbish. They are handled differently, depending on the relevant legislation.

  • Legislation

    Links to the Legislative Acts that govern the Food & Health responsibilities in New Zealand.

  • Smokefree

    About the council's Selwyn Smokefree Outdoor Policy

  • Pest control
  • Camping Grounds
  • Cyanobacteria

One of the regulatory roles of the Selwyn District Council is to promote, protect and improve the health of the district's residents. There is a variety of legislation that requires us to undertake this role. We endeavour to ensure that you can be confident about the safety of your health and enjoy your community.

How do we do this?

According to the appropriate legislation, we register and inspect businesses like food, hairdressing, amusement devices and offensive traders.

  • We investigate, resolve and/or monitor nuisances arising from noise levels and health hazards.
  • We investigate infectious diseases notified by the Medical Officer of Health, food poisonings and food-borne illnesses.
  • We also review building consents, particularly for commercial and industrial activities to ensure compliance with environmental health standards.
  • We also provide information to you about your rights, obligations and responsibilities under the legislation. The legislation covers specialised fields, and the Council will contract these services when and where it is appropriate.