Rolleston Town Centre
In this section
September 2020 - Consultation on Rolleston Reserve redevelopment
Selwyn residents are being asked to help design proposed new community public spaces in the redevelopment of Rolleston Reserve. The proposals are part of the wider Rolleston town centre project.
Over the past year we’ve been consulting with the community about options for the reserve. We’re proposing to include a sensory garden and a youth space in the reserve, along with open green space with new trees and paths.
Consultation on these proposals is open from Tuesday 15 September to Wednesday 15 October 2020.
Find out more about the proposed changes and make a submission.
August 2020 - Updates to Rolleston town centre design
We’ve proposed a number of changes to the design and layout of the Rolleston town centre, including roads, pedestrian areas and car parks. The main change suggested is removing the planned extension of Wordsworth Street, which would have run through the town centre. This will improve pedestrian access across the town centre and encourage reduced speeds.
Consultation will also cover entry from Tennyson Street, entry to the town centre car park from Rolleston Drive and Tennyson Street and pedestrian walkways through car parks.
Consultation is open from 31 August to 5 October 2020.
Watch the video overview of the latest plans.
July 2020 – fly-over video of major projects
Check out our latest fly-through video and see the rapid progress on Selwyn’s exciting new community facility projects – Selwyn Health Hub, Te Ara Ātea and Rolleston town centre, Selwyn Aquatic Centre extension and Foster Park indoor courts.
Watch the video of progress on our major projects.
July 2020 – roading upgrades to Tennyson Street accelerated
Major upgrades to Tennyson Street are being sped up. This will allow the upgrade of the road and installation of infrastructure for the Rolleston Town Centre to be completed around three months faster than scheduled.
February 2020 – Tennyson Street roading upgrades update
In order to complete the upgrade works ahead more quickly changes have been made to these roading upgrades, which are expected to be completed by the end of June 2020 - weather permitting.
- From Monday 2 March 2020 Tennyson Street will be closed from 43 Tennyson Street to the Rolleston Police Station (the length of Rolleston Reserve)
- A detour will be in place using Byron Street, Brookside Road and Rolleston Drive
- A temporary extension is being added to Markham Way to allow residents to exit Markham Way, Wilbur Close and Peel Close and to provide access to the carparks for the shops on the corner of Tennyson Street and Markham Way.
- The 820 (Lincoln/Burnham) and 85 (Rolleston/city) stops on Tennyson Street will be moved to a temporary location on Rolleston Drive
- Pedestrian access to Tennyson Street will be maintained throughout the upgrade
See a map of the affected area including bus route changes
January 2020 – Roading upgrades coming to Tennyson Street
Major upgrades to Tennyson Street are beginning in January 2020 as part of the Rolleston town centre project.
The upgrade works include adding street lighting, landscaping, improved pedestrian access and installing the necessary infrastructure services for the buildings in the town centre.
- From Monday 13 January 2020 Tennyson Street will be closed to northbound traffic from Markham Way to Moore Street.
- Tennyson Street between Markham Way and Rolleston Drive will remain open to two-way traffic in the meantime.
- A second phase will include extending the one-way restriction on Tennyson Street from Markham Way to Rolleston Drive – we will provide further information closer to the time when this is happening.
The one-way restrictions will be in place until these upgrades are completed, which is expected to be in early May, weather permitting.
Some bus routes and stops will be changing during the upgrade:
- The 820 (Lincoln/Burnham) and 85 (Rolleston/city) routes north-bound will not travel along Tennyson Street
- The bus stop on the west side of Tennyson Street, outside Rolleston Reserve, will be closed
- These routes will detour along Rolleston Drive, Norman Kirk Drive and Kidman Street
- These routes will use the existing (Yellow Line) bus stop on the west side of Rolleston Drive, near McCauley Street
- The 820 and 85 routes south-bound will continue to use Tennyson Street
- The bus stop on the east side of Tennyson Street, opposite Rolleston Reserve, will be moved a short distance to opposite Moore Street.
- The Yellow Line route is unaffected
September 2019 – blessing marks launch of town centre construction
Construction of the new Rolleston town centre was launched in September 2019 with a blessing ceremony led by Te Taumutu Rūnanga. The ceremony marked the beginning of construction of Te Ara Ātea, the new library, community and cultural facility, which will be the first stage in the town centre development.
Work on the site began in November, and the building is expected to be completed in early 2021. The Council appointed Armitage Williams Construction Limited as the contractor to build Te Ara Ātea, with Isaac Construction carrying out the transport and infrastructure work for the town centre, starting with work on Tennyson Street.
Read more about the blessing ceremony and construction plans.
August 2019 - Design guidelines released
Design guidelines for the Rolleston Town Centre development were released in August 2019.
The guidelines set out a framework for the design of the new town centre, and give guidance to developers who will be designing both private and public spaces and buildings within the area. They are aimed at creating a civic ‘heart’ for Rolleston that is anchored by the new library/community centre, Te Ara Ātea, and complemented by surrounding businesses.
View or download the design guidelines [PDF, 9834 KB] document (update online 7 May 2021)
A two page summary [PDF, 4308 KB] showing the confirmed zoning for Rolleston and Lincoln town centres was published in June 2016. This was a result of Commissioner's decisions on an action as part of the Land Use Recovery Plan.
The Rolleston Town Centre Masterplan [PDF, 12793 KB] was adopted on 23 April 2014.
The Foster Recreation Park Masterplan [PDF, 15400 KB] was adopted on 23 April 2014.
Please note for those on Dial Up the files are quite large.
The masterplans are available at Rolleston Headquarters for viewing. Photocopying charges apply if you wish to take a copy of the masterplan away.
Foster Recreation Park Submissions report [PDF, 1429 KB] has been completed and you can download this report, or view it at Rolleston Headquarters.
Town Centre Masterplan Submissions Report [PDF, 701 KB] has been completed.
The Councillors meet on 28 January 2014 to discuss the feedback that was presented at the workshop on 4 December 2013.
Comments on the Rolleston Town Centre Masterplan [PDF, 2796 KB]
Comments on the Foster Recreation Park Masterplan [PDF, 1509 KB]
We engaged in consultation with the community sending out Your Town...Your Future [PDF, 2926 KB] brochure to the community within a 5km radius of Rolleston.
For further information please contact the Duty Planner on phone 0800 SELWYN (735 996) or email email@example.com