Rolleston Town Centre
In this section
January 2020 – Roading upgrades coming to Tennyson Street
Major upgrades to Tennyson Street are beginning in January 2020 as part of the Rolleston town centre project.
The upgrade works include adding street lighting, landscaping, improved pedestrian access and installing the necessary infrastructure services for the buildings in the town centre.
- From Monday 13 January Tennyson Street will be closed to northbound traffic from Markham Way to Moore Street.
- Tennyson Street between Markham Way and Rolleston Drive will remain open to two-way traffic in the meantime.
- A second phase will include extending the one-way restriction on Tennyson Street from Markham Way to Rolleston Drive – we will provide further information closer to the time when this is happening.
The one-way restrictions will be in place until these upgrades are completed, which is expected to be in early May, weather permitting.
Some bus routes and stops will be changing during the upgrade:
- The 820 (Lincoln/Burnham) and 85 (Rolleston/city) routes north-bound will not travel along Tennyson Street
- The bus stop on the west side of Tennyson Street, outside Rolleston Reserve, will be closed
- These routes will detour along Rolleston Drive, Norman Kirk Drive and Kidman Street
- These routes will use the existing (Yellow Line) bus stop on the west side of Rolleston Drive, near McCauley Street
- The 820 and 85 routes south-bound will continue to use Tennyson Street
- The bus stop on the east side of Tennyson Street, opposite Rolleston Reserve, will be moved a short distance to opposite Moore Street.
- The Yellow Line route is unaffected
September 2019 – blessing marks launch of town centre construction
Construction of the new Rolleston town centre was launched in September 2019 with a blessing ceremony led by Te Taumutu Rūnanga. The ceremony marked the beginning of construction of Te Ara Ātea, the new library, community and cultural facility, which will be the first stage in the town centre development.
Work on the site began in November, and the building is expected to be completed in early 2021. The Council appointed Armitage Williams Construction Limited as the contractor to build Te Ara Ātea, with Isaac Construction carrying out the transport and infrastructure work for the town centre, starting with work on Tennyson Street.
Read more about the blessing ceremony and construction plans.
August 2019 - Design guidelines released
Design guidelines for the Rolleston Town Centre development were released in August 2019.
The guidelines set out a framework for the design of the new town centre, and give guidance to developers who will be designing both private and public spaces and buildings within the area. They are aimed at creating a civic ‘heart’ for Rolleston that is anchored by the new library/community centre, Te Ara Ātea, and complemented by surrounding businesses.
View or download the design guidelines [PDF, 3517 KB] document
Read more about the design guidelines
A two page summary [PDF, 4308 KB] showing the confirmed zoning for Rolleston and Lincoln town centres was published in June 2016. This was a result of Commissioner's decisions on an action as part of the Land Use Recovery Plan.
The Rolleston Town Centre Masterplan [PDF, 12793 KB] was adopted on 23 April 2014.
The Foster Recreation Park Masterplan [PDF, 15400 KB] was adopted on 23 April 2014.
Please note for those on Dial Up the files are quite large.
The masterplans are available at Rolleston Headquarters for viewing. Photocopying charges apply if you wish to take a copy of the masterplan away.
Foster Recreation Park Submissions report [PDF, 1429 KB] has been completed and you can download this report, or view it at Rolleston Headquarters.
Town Centre Masterplan Submissions Report [PDF, 701 KB] has been completed.
The Councillors meet on 28 January 2014 to discuss the feedback that was presented at the workshop on 4 December 2013.
Comments on the Rolleston Town Centre Masterplan [PDF, 2796 KB]
Comments on the Foster Recreation Park Masterplan [PDF, 1509 KB]
We engaged in consultation with the community sending out Your Town...Your Future [PDF, 2926 KB] brochure to the community within a 5km radius of Rolleston.
3D View of the Proposed Rolleston Town Centre
- Entertainment, cultural, community and library facilities
- Town square with indoor/outdoor dining, bars and the opportunity for a market
- Green space, sporting facilities, water features and public art
- Small shops and pedestrian friendly streets
- Better connected streets and improved pedestrian and cycle safety, including cycle links with I-Zone
- Improved access to SH1 that does not cause major delays
- Free parking
- The proposed new Main Street - Tennyson Street
Submissions and feedback on the Rolleston Town Centre Masterplan have closed and are now being processed.
After the interruption of earthquakes, we are once again looking at the Rolleston Town Centre.
In order to have a town centre we can enjoy and take pride in, we need to know what it is that you want in your town centre.
Keep up to date
If you have any questions, please contact the Duty Planner on 347 2868 or email email@example.com