Noise from licensed premises is mostly from loud music or from people attending the premises. Noise complaints (people and/or music) about licensed premises are generally actioned as they occur and we will respond as with other excessive noise complaints.

On-going complaints concerning the same premises are investigated and actioned as unreasonable noise, with a full noise assessment carried out and if necessary abatement notices served. Failure to keep noise to a reasonable level may affect the premises' licensed trading hours and may even affect the operator's alcohol licence.

You can make a complaint about noisy licensed premises at any time. You can also submit an objection against the premises' trading hours when its alcohol licence is up for renewal. For further information regarding submitting an objection, please contact the Selwyn District Licensing Committee .