The Selwyn District Council has currently reached the cap for the number of machines that are approved to operate within the district. This is in accordance with the Gambling Policy . Applications that are processed are unlikely to be approved for machine allocation during this time.
The Gambling Act 2003 required territorial authorities to adopt a Class 4 Gambling Venue and Board Venue Policy for their district.
Council approval is required for new premises (and sometimes for increases in machine numbers for existing premises) as part of the Gambling Act overall licensing process.
Class 4 venues use or involve gaming machines.
Meaning of Class 4 gambling
In the Gambling Act 2003, Class 4 Gambling is —
- gambling that is not gambling of another class and that satisfies the following criteria:
- the net proceeds from the gambling are applied to or distributed for authorised purposes:
- no commission is paid to, or received by, a person for conducting the gambling:
- the gambling satisfies relevant game rules; and
- gambling that utilises or involves a gaming machine; or
- gambling categorised by the Secretary as class 4 gambling.