Apply for a container to be placed on the side of the road

Guidelines and Requirements

Containers should be placed on private property wherever possible.
All containers placed on the road / road reserve within the Selwyn District Council boundaries will require a permit.
Approval must be obtained from neighbours or anyone else identified as being likely to be affected by the placement of the container.

Placement Guidelines

  • Containers should not be placed on man hole covers or access points to underground services or fire hydrants.
  • A minimum of 4 metres of clear road must be left between where the container is to be placed and the outside edge of the car park on the opposite side of the road to keep access available to emergency services.
  • A minimum of 1 metre between containers and driveway access points should be left to allow vehicles ease of entry and exit.
  • Containers are only to be placed on the road as they are required. Containers cannot be stored on the road or left on the road indefinitely without being used. Containers are only to be on the road for a maximum of 14 days.


SDC reserves the right to ask for the container to be moved or relocated at any time on the grounds of safety, congestion and or amenity if these  issues are raised in complaints to SDC. Failure to comply with such a request may result in SDC undertaking the move or relocation at your expense.

Application Form (Printable Copy) [PDF, 129 KB]

For further enquiries please email