In this section

Connecting to our network

If you are a homeowner planning to build a new home that involves a water or wastewater connection, it’s a good idea to seek advice from a drainlayer, architect, engineer or other qualified person. They will know the requirements and standards with which you must comply.

  • A building consent is always required to connect to our sewer mains (when available).
  • In Rolleston IPort area new connections to our pressure sewer systems must be supervised by our maintenance contractor SICON Ltd. Contractors must submit the new connection approval form to arrange for the supervision of the new connection.

Private wastewater systems

  • Properties owners with no access to our reticulated system must have their private septic tank and pressure system installed.
  • We operate two septage pits - Ardlui Road and Bleakhouse Road. These take septic tank (household and small business) wastewater.

Decommissioning an old septic tank

Waste water pipes: ownership and responsibility

The responsibility for maintaining and repairing wastewater pipes that carry wastewater from the house or business to the Council main is shared between the property owner and the Council.

Your responsibility

  • Check the Certificate of Title to your land, which clearly marks the boundary between private land, public land and common land. It should show the ownership of the wastewater pipes and other services in your property, including those in any easement, such as a Private Lane or Private Right of Way. (Your solicitor should have advised you of your rights and responsibilities when you purchased the property)
  • Titles can be ordered through Land Information New Zealand (LINZ). Their website has step by step instructions on how to do this.

Our responsibility

  • Council owns and is responsible for all wastewater pipes, tanks and laterals, on public land, i.e. from the front boundary of a house on a public street to the front boundary of the house on the opposite side of the street.

Refer to our Wastewater Drainage Bylaw 2016 [PDF, 628 KB] for more information.

Blockage and drain issues

Depending on the type of system you are connected to, your response to a blockage may vary.

Properties connected to a gravity wastewater system

  • Call a drainlayer, preferably one with CCTV capability as this may help positively identify the cause.
  • Your drainlayer will determine if the blockage is on the private or public (Council) section of the lateral.
  • All costs for the work done on private section will be borne by the owner (or owners).
  • Council will repair issues on wastewater main and laterals on public land.

Note that approximately 70% of blockages in wastewater laterals are found in the private section.

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

Figure 3.

Properties with privately owned tanks (see fig.3 above)

  • Any problems with a pressure wastewater system with privately owned tank are the property owner's responsibility.
  • Call a drainlayer to rectify.
  • If you suspect that the pump is at fault you should mention when calling that you have a tank and pump and check that the drainlayer has the ability to carry out work on these items.

Our wastewater infrastructure

  • We have 14 reticulated wastewater systems that service 55% of properties within the district and are connected to a treatment plant.
  • Overall there are 39 pump stations and eight wastewater treatment and disposal plants. Total length of the reticulation is 250km, varying in diameter from DN50 to DN600.
  • The Pines I WWTP constructed in 2012 is a modular plant with disposal to an 80 ha irrigation area. Further additions are planned between 2019 and 2020.
  • Pines III upgrades will commence which includes a bioreactor, UV lamps, four blowers, and the addition of another clarifier and irrigation pump.
  • The cost of these improvements is $29.7 million and they will be funded largely from development contributions. The wastewater schemes have a replacement value of approximately $193M (excluding land value).

Further information about the districts wastewater schemes is available in the 5Waters Activity Management Plans.