In this section
Your Water Charges
Description of the introduction of water metering and water charges. As well as how to monitor your water usage.
Information about our water quality and our means of compliance and advice on protecting our water supply
- Water Demand
Information about typical water usage for activities, and how you can manage your water use.
- Water Chlorination
How do I connect to the water supply?
Private Water Supplies
Information for home owners on private water supplies
- Restricted water supply
- Castle Hill Reservoir upgrade
- Springfield drinking water supply
We currently deliver potable water to more than 19,000 households. Most of our customers receive water on demand while a minority are on a restricted supply in our rural areas. As a supplier of drinking water, we monitor the quality and the quantity of our water supplies on a daily basis and encourage all consumers to be responsible consumers and save water.
Request a service
|APPLY / REQUEST||FIND INFORMATION||PAY||REPORT|
Find the location and details of our Water utilities (pipes and connections) using the Canterbury Maps Viewer website.
Our water supplies
We manage over 30 water supplies across the District that spans from Arthur's Pass to Taumutu in the southern region. Selwyn water supplies generally draw water from the following two sources:
- Ground water (aquifers):
- Deep secure ground water. These sources are protected from the influence of surface water contamination and are usually deemed to better source of raw water supply.
- Shallow or insecure ground water. Shallow bores and wells are generally at a higher risk of contamination and may require a higher level of treatment.
- Surface water (general)
- Sourced from rivers, streams, creeks, water races and irrigation races. These open catchment sources are at higher risk of contamination and need higher levels of treatment before distribution.
You can see which Water Scheme you belong to by looking into your Rates Information