In this section
Request a service
- Check our water metering and charges
- Register to Selwyn Gets Ready and be informed of water warning notices
- Report a Fault - Snap Send Solve
- Request a new water connection
- Rates enquiry
- The availability of clean, safe to drink, water is fundamental to the health and welfare of the Selwyn Community. There are nine river/gallery intakes, and 24 deeper groundwater takes.
- Drinking water is provided by the Council to over 75% of the population of the District around 41,000 people.
- Water is supplied for public needs including household, gardens, and public reserves.
- Source, treatment plant and reticulation water is regularly tested for the presence of bacteria.
- The backflow prevention policy sets out the backflow prevention requirements for new and existing properties in the district.
- Can I swim here?
Our water Schemes
Managing our water demand
- We manage over 30 water supplies across the District that spans from Arthur's Pass to Taumutu in the southern region.
- The Council's Water Conservation and Demand Management Plan [PDF, 1593 KB] provides background information and an analysis of water management in the Selwyn District, and presents a plan for improved water demand management. This plan was approved by Council on 8 June 2016.
- High growth in the eastern urban townships including Rolleston, Lincoln, West Melton and Prebbleton, is driving the need for more public drinking water from these townships sources - both at existing and new sites.
- For some townships residents are able to self-monitor scheme capacity and adjust water usage to suit e.g. don’t irrigate lawns while the scheme is under pressure.
- We always encourage all users to wise water consumption.
- All current township water restrictions are notified via this website, Facebook and https://selwyn.getsready.net/ Council also informs its rate payers through etxt and emails.
Further information about the districts water supplies is available in the 5Waters Activity Management Plans