In this section
Properties with an existing water supply point
- Check if your property has a water supply point (see picture aside); your supply point should be located at the front of the property on the boundary and has a blue lid and tail pipe.
- If your building consent has been granted you or your plumbing contractor can connect to your supply point. No further approval is required.
- For new dwellings and family flats on an existing property, check our planning information about other consents required.
- If you need water on a new property before the building work is consented, you must apply for approval by submitting the water connection approval form . There is no application fee.
Properties with no existing water supply point
First, check to see if connections to the public network are or may be available ("open" or "subject to approval") in your area using our List of water supplies statuses [PDF, 432 KB]
1) When the water supply in your area is classified as "open"
- Fill out our water connection approval form . There is no application fee.
- We have two types of water supply connections in our district: on demand (unrestricted) and restricted. Both can be metered.
- Once your application has been approved you will be invoiced for any applicable development contribution which must be paid prior to engaging a contractor for the physical pipework installation. Development contribution charges as of 2018/2019 Financial Year:
|Cost including GST||$2,310.35||$4,733.40||$7,893.60||$2,105.65||$8,444.45||$3,142.95||$1,665.20|
Engaging a contractor to install a new connection
- You may choose the Council's contractor Sicon Ltd. or any qualified private contractor to complete the work.
- Sicon's actual costs to complete the connection work will be as quoted by the contractor. Contact Sicon Ltd. for a quote on 03 318 8320 or email email@example.com
- Private contractors work must comply with the Selwyn District Council's infrastructure design standards [PDF, 2078 KB]. Refer to Part 3 of our Engineering Code of Practice [PDF, 1039 KB] page 48-51 for templates of pressure pipe check-sheets.
- All connection to the public network must be supervised by Sicon as required under our Water Supply Bylaw 2008 [PDF, 217 KB]. (The cost for Sicon to supervise your private contractor is based on $60.00/hour, $0.60c/km plus materials (if any) and this will be invoiced to the applicant in the month following the completion of work.) Once private work is complete, you or your private contractors will have to fill out the As-Built submission form [PDF, 149 KB] and send it to the Council within two working days from date of completion of work.
2) When the water supply is “subject to model capacity or/and approval”
- Submit an approval form and our Water Modelling Engineer will be assessing your request within 8 working days to inform whether a new connection to the public network may be approved.
3) When the water supply is “closed”
- The network in your area has reached its full capacity and no new water connection is currently approved. Please consider private water supply. Contact ECAN for more information.
Maintenance of water supply point
Fig.1: above, here is an example of a metered connection showing the owner/Council split responsibilities
- We will maintain all water supply points connected to the public network including water meters.
- The maintenance of your pipe and its connection to the toby box (as shown above) and to your house is your responsibility.