Darfield and Kirwee are two of the largest un-sewered communities in New Zealand. Community and Public Health have previously identified a concern that discharge of onsite treated wastewater to ground may pose a public health risk.
In the 2017/18 Annual Plan the Council signaled that a joint working party involving representatives from the Council, the Malvern Community Board, the Darfield and Kirwee Township Committees, Canterbury District Health Board and Environment Canterbury would further consider options for the possible establishment of a wastewater scheme for Darfield and Kirwee, which do not currently have a reticulated wastewater system.
The working party has previously indicated that, based on the available evidence, the existing system of onsite wastewater treatment systems is not currently having a detrimental effect on the environment. However, the establishment of a reticulated scheme is an option for consideration as it may enable future commercial and industrial development and more intensive residential development in the area.
Over the first three years of this 2018-28 Long-Term Plan, further work will be undertaken by the Council, the working group and technical experts, to gather more information and undertake targeted consultation with the community. Information gathered over this time on the costs, benefits and practical matters will help to inform any decision on wastewater system options and funding, which would then be consulted on through a future Long-Term Plan process.
The following documents have been previously commissioned and are available for download.
- Preliminary Report on the Issues and Options for Land Treatment and Disposal of Sewage from Darfield 1996
- Modelling impact of Darfield and Kirwee Wastewater Discharges on Groundwater Quality 2011
- Existing onsite wastewater treatment systems assessment in Darfield 2014
- The Potential Hazard On-Site wastewater Treatment Systems in Darfield and Kirwee 2014 (and Appendices)
- Public health risk assessment of sewage disposal by onsite wastewater treatment and disposal systems in the Darfield and Kirwee Communities 2014
- Darfield Wastewater Strategy 2016
- Darfield and Kirwee Wastewater Strategy 2017