About obtaining a CAR in order to perform work in a road corridor

Selwyn District Council has a requirement under the Local Government Act and the NZ Utilities Advisory Group (NZUAG) Code of Practice to manage and coordinate contractors seeking to carry out work in the road corridor.

The road corridor includes not just the carriageway but berms, footpaths, cycle ways and any other structures in these areas such as power poles and street lights. It is best described as everything between the property line on one side of the road to the property line on the other side of the road.

All excavation and trenching work carried out within the road corridor must be carried out in accordance with the National Code of Practice for Utilities' Access to the Transport Corridors that was compiled and published by the NZUAG.

All Temporary Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) must minimally comply with the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM).

Corridor Access Request (CAR)

A Corridor Access Request (CAR) is an application to the Council for access to the road corridor in order to carry out works.

It is required to ensure all work sites on roads are as safe as possible for workers, motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. The application also allows for the Council to coordinate road works and allow for notification to the public.

If a CAR is approved, a Work Access Permit (WAP) is issued. The WAP gives permission to carry out the specified activity in the CAR in the road corridor. A set of conditions is issued with the WAP which outlines a set of rules to be followed when working in the road corridor. These approved documents, together with the approved TMP, must be on site at all times for the duration of the work carried out in the road corridor.

A WAP is required for all work carried out in the road corridor. This could include, but is not limited to, the following activities:

  • Any activity that will alter or cause to be altered the surface of any part of the road reserve, including but not limited to excavating, drilling, resurfacing
  • The placement of any pipe, duct, pole, cabinet or other structure below, on or above the road reserve
  • An event in the road corridor or access to an event
  • A new driveway

Applying for Access to the Road Corridor

On-line Application

A Corridor Access Request (CAR) application must be made for any activity that occurs in the road corridor by going to Beforeudig or through Submitica. Both are free to access for those requiring access to the road corridor.

Beforeudig will also include service plans for the location you have requested access too, should you need to carry out an excavation. You can also contact Beforeudig by calling 0800 248 344, who are also able to assist in completing a CAR over the phone.

As per the NZUAG Code of Practice, the following information, but not necessarily limited to, is required to be included in a CAR:

  • A Temporary Traffic Management Plan (TMP) which must include the full form from the NZTA website and any Temporary Traffic Management Diagram(s) (TMD(s)) necessary for deployment of any Temporary Traffic Management (TTM). The design of the TMP must comply with the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM)
  • A plan indicating the proposed scope of works including location in the road corridor and proposed dimensions and design of any excavations
  • Evidence of approvals from any other utilities operators that need to be obtained e.g. close approach approval for power lines
  • Any other relevant additional information to supplement your application or requested by the corridor manager

All documents need to be in portrait PDF format only.

Traffic counts and Route Positions (RPs) can be obtained through Mobile Roads.

Note: Currently, those who write TMPs must either hold the Temporary Traffic Management Planner (TTMP) qualification or be enrolled to attend a workshop if they wish to submit a TMP. All TMP designers must hold the TTMP Practicing qualification by 30 April 2021.  Between 1 January and 30 April 2021 only those who have sat the TMP Planner course and obtained either the TMP-NP or TMP-P qualifications may submit TMPs.

The length of time to process the application will depend on the request. The minimum lead/processing times for CAR and TMP applications are as follows:

Standard CAR/TMP 5 working days
Project CAR/TMP 15 working days
Road Closure 10 working days 
Event Road Closure TMP42 days 
Road Space Booking (carried out under a global CAR only)2 working days
Global CAR/generic TMP 10 working days

An application for access to the road corridor is currently free of charge. The CAR must be applied for and the WAP must be granted before the work can commence unless it is an emergency. Failure to do so may result in the contractor being removed from the road corridor or being unable to start work in a timely manner.

Types of corridor access request:

Project Works that exceed 14 days from establishment to final reinstatement
Major Works involving an excavation of greater than one square metre and taking less than 14 days from establishment to final reinstatement.  If machinery is needed to complete the excavation, the works are considered major for any excavation size.
Minor Domestic service connections and/or works of up to one square metre that do not significantly disrupt pedestrian or vehicular traffic and can be filled in by hand within 5 minutes  Any excavation that can be completed by hand and back filled in five minutes is considered minor works.
Retrospective Notification of minor or emergency works that have taken place within the past seven days.
ExcavationWhere an area in the road corridor is excavated.  This includes, but is not limited to, activities such as driveway construction, utility installation/upgrade, sewer laterals, earthworks, road construction/maintenance and other civil activities.
Non-excavationWhere the works to be carried out in the road corridor will not break ground.  This includes, but is not limited too, activities such as tree felling or trimming, event management, mowing, spraying, drain cleaning, delivery of goods, accident management or any other activity in the road corridor that does not require an excavation.
EventWhere an event is impacting on the road corridor.  This may involve road closures, manual traffic control or other traffic management to ensure the safety of event participants (such as in a cycling event) or the safety of attendees (such as a fireworks display).
Global CARWhere a contractor has a high volume of minor works occurring in the road corridor with simple and low impact traffic management set ups required.  These kinds of CAR are typically only issued to contractors such as utility companies who's work is frequent and of a volume where it would become impractical to manage through the site specific CAR process.
Generic TMPA pre approved TMP held by a contractor who has a high volume of excavation works, such as a driveway construction contractor, which has a repetitive, simple similar set up.  The need for a site specific CAR is not removed, but the generic TMP may be used in place of a site specific TMP.  Generic TMPs do not provide any authority to work in the road corridor.

If you are unsure about the requirements for a CAR or have any questions please contact corridor.manager@selwyn.govt.nz

Service Plans

Contractors should be obtaining service plans and services should be located through a cable locate service before any excavation is undertaken. Many services that are vital to the community now run underground including power cables, fibre internet cables, water mains and sewer mains, among others.

Should a service strike occur, then it is the responsibility of the contractor to repair the service. Some services are of critical importance and can be costly to repair as well as requiring specialist contractors to complete the work.

Service plans for Selwyn District Council services can be obtained through Beforeudig or accessed on Canterbury Maps

Contractor's Requirements

Contractors are required to supply or do the following during the CAR process:

  • Obtain service plans and check service locations in the road corridor before beginning work where an excavation will occur
  • Notify Selwyn District Council of the commencement of works
  • A Works Completion Notice when work is completed (which can be found at the bottom of this page)
  • Before and after pictures of the site where work is carried out
  • Any and all testing results including compaction tests and pressure tests for pipe work if applicable

Once all of the above documents are supplied to the corridor manager, the works can then enter into the two year maintenance period.

Working On The Roads During Peak Hours

In general, road works will not be permitted on the following roads at morning peak (7am to 9am) or afternoon peak (4pm to 6pm) Monday to Friday except by written permission by the corridor manager i.e. an approved TMP that states works maybe carried out at these times.  Works that take longer than 1 day to complete will be allowed to leave TTM in place as required but commuter needs will take priority during these times on these roads.  The roads affected are:

Road NameSuburbSection of RoadRP Start to Finish
Birches RoadPrebbleton/LincolnSprings Road to James Street0.000 to 6.261
Blakes RoadPrebbletonShands Road to Springs Road0.000 to 1.666
Brookside RoadRollestonMain South Road to Dunns Cross Road0.000 to 2.700
Edward StreetLincolnJames Street to Liffey Springs Drive0.000 to 1.200
Ellesmere Junction RoadLincolnSprings Road to Rattletrack Road0.000 to 5.000
Gerald StreetLincolnJames Street to Springs Road0.000 to 1.255
High StreetLeestonCunningham Street to Feredays Road0.000 to 1.800
Hoskyns Road Rolleston/West MeltonMain South Road to Newtons Road0.000 to 4.620
James StreetLincolnGerald Street to Birches Road0.000 to 0.615
Jones RoadRollestonDawsons Road to Two Chain Road1.250 to 8.865
Levi RoadRollestonLincoln Rolleston Road to Weedons Road0.000 to 1.700
Lincoln Rolleston RoadRollestonSelwyn Road to Masefield Drive0.000 to 3.700
Lowes RoadRollestonLincoln Rolleston Road to Dunns Cross Road0.000 to 3.100
Masefield DriveRollestonRolleston Drive to Levi/Lowes Road0.000 to 0.640
Rolleston DriveRollestonMain South Road to Brookside Road0.000 to 2.250
Selwyn RoadRolleston/PrebbletonShands Road to Ellesmere Junction Road0.000 to 10.200
Shands RoadPrebbletonMarshs Road to Selwyn Road0.000 to 4.100
Springs RoadPrebbleton/LincolnMarshs Road to Lincoln University0.000 to 9.800
Springston Rolleston RoadRollestonTennyson Street to Selwyn Road2.800 to 6.735
Tennyson StreetRollestonMain South Road to Springston Rolleston Road0.000 to 1.251
Trents RoadPrebbletonShands Road to Birches Road2.900 to 4.765
Weedons RoadRollestonLevi Road to Weedons Ross Road7.000 to 7.900

Roads within 1 km of a school will also be subject to the same restrictions as well as an additional restriction of 2:45pm to 3:30 pm during the school term.  Contractors are strongly advised to time works within 1 km of a school for school holidays.

Works maybe carried out on other roads at peak hour subject to other approvals as per the CAR application process.

If you have works on these roads, please contact the corridor manager before submitting a TMP.

Road Closures

Generally, full road closures are not issued in the Selwyn District except for events or where works in the road corridor cannot be carried out in a way that safely maintains minimally one open lane as per CoPTTM.

If you require a road closure, it is recommended that you contact the corridor manager in the first instance.

Global CARs

In some situations, a global CAR with a generic TMP may be issued to a contractor. A global CAR may be issued for repetitive, similar, low risk works that can occur in a one day shift that have similar or simple TTM requirements. The global CAR is issued is at the discretion of the corridor manager and will take into account the nature of the works it is to be used for among other factors.

Temporary traffic management contractors will not be issued a global CAR.  They may apply for an approved generic TMP.

To apply for a global CAR in the Selwyn District, please contact the corridor manager for more information.

Generic TMPs

Generic TMPs may be applied for by any contractor.  Unlike a global CAR, no authority to work is issued with a generic TMP.  Generic TMPs are suited to temporary traffic management contractors and may be suitable for other contractors with a higher volume of work who otherwise might not qualify for a global CAR.

To apply for a generic TMP, please contact the corridor manager to discuss the process.


Currently, there are no fees associated with the corridor management process.

Corridor Manager Contact

If you have any questions or concerns relating to the road corridor and the CAR process, please email in the first instance the corridor manager at corridor.manager@selwyn.govt.nz

Monthly Traffic Management Newsletters

December 2021        [PDF, 829 KB]

September 2021       [PDF, 401 KB]

July 2021      [PDF, 573 KB]

June 2021     [PDF, 1110 KB]

April 2021     [PDF, 483 KB]

March 2021   [PDF, 896 KB]

February 2021  [PDF, 924 KB]

December 2020  [PDF, 452 KB]

November 2020 [PDF, 386 KB]

October 2020 [PDF, 142 KB]

Useful Links and Documents

Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM)

Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM) - Guidelines for TTM at Events

NZ Utilities Advisory Group (NZUAG) Code of Practice

NZTA Full Form for TMPs (Only to be completed by a suitably qualified person)

Selwyn Works Completion Notice Form [PDF, 749 KB]

Selwyn TMP Extension Form [PDF, 127 KB]

Generic TMP Check Sheet [PDF, 162 KB]