Water Race Closures Process
Summary of proposals for water race closures. Including the closure process and public notices.
Council receives a number of requests for closure of individual water races where they are no longer required. Closing a water race following the below process can take up to 6 months.
The following steps are required to be undertaken before a race can be closed:
- The initiator of the closure request should contact Council and ask for Surface Water Operations Engineer to discuss whether proposed race is appropriate for closure.
- You can alternatively email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a map of the location of the race you are wishing to close.
- The initiator of the closure request is required to co-ordinate with all affected land owners to provide the following documents to Council:
- Agreement to close water race form signed by all affected property owners – you will need agreement from a minimum of 80% of affected property owners in order to progress your application.
- A map showing the extent of the requested closure – a blank map will be provided by the Surface Water Operations Engineer
- The Infrastructure Group Manager considers the application and provides approval to proceed to public consultation
- Water race closure requests will be publicly advertised for a period of 3 weeks and key stake holders notified
- Council will hear any submissions made during public consultation period at the Council meeting following the closure of the public advertisement period.
- Council will then provide a decision on whether the race should be closed, taking into account the submissions from the public and report from the Surface Waters Engineer
- Details of the decision will be posted on the Council website and affected land owners will be informed
- If appropriate, salvage of aquatic life will be undertaken prior to race closure
- Physical water race closure will be undertaken in conjunction with the Council’s maintenance Contractor.
- Benefiting land owners will be liable for their share of the cost of closing the water race