Most building consent applications will need a geotechnical report or shallow soil investigation report.

These reports are important part of the design and consenting process, because

  • they take the findings of your site investigation, and
  • recommend the appropriate foundations and any stabilising measures, retaining walls etc needed for your specific project.

Obtaining a PIM before applying for your building consent will confirm whether you need to supply with your building consent documentation

  • a shallow soil investigation report, or
  • a full geotechnical report.

Site investigations usually involve drilling boreholes or digging test pits and scala penetrometer tests. Samples and testing carried out:

  • confirm the ground conditions beneath the site, and
  • identify if there are any problems that may exist with the stability of the site or the subsoils.

You will need to provide a geotechnical report:

  • if your land is identified as being in an area that is susceptible to liquefaction, or
  • for areas where other natural hazards such as potential land instability, rockfall, or faultlines are present.

A map of liquefaction zones is available on page 17 of the 2012 Environment Canterbury (ECan) report reviewing liquefaction hazard information [PDF, 4856 KB].