Q. What is the difference between an infringement and a fine? 
A. When you are issued an infringement the monetary penalty recorded on it is called an 'infringement fee'. If the infringement fee is not paid in full by the due date it is referred to the Ministry of Justice for enforcement, when it becomes a 'fine'.

Q. Are you issuing parking infringements to collect more money for the Council?
A. Our priority is the education of road users on parking safety on Selwyn’s public roads and spaces, and removing vehicles when a safety offence is identified or reported.

We will also issue parking infringements following a complaint, or when our staff become aware of a safety issue or witness a lack of consideration to other road users.

We will, however, continue to issue warning notices when that approach is appropriate.

Q. What will you do with the collected fees?
A. Any funds received will help to cover the costs associated with delivering the Parking Safety service. This can include investigation, administration, towage, and storage costs.  Should any additional revenue be recovered, this may be put towards improving and maintaining roading infrastructure, and fund school road safety initiatives.

Q. What type of parking offences will we be issuing infringements for?
A. We will be issuing parking infringements for parking safety offences on public roads and spaces, such as parking on yellow lines and footpaths, and across driveways. We can also issue infringements for offences in relation to a vehicle’s expired Warrant of Fitness or vehicle registration.

Q. Will illegal mobility parking be subject to infringements?
A. Vehicles not displaying a current New Zealand Disabled Persons Mobility permit when parked in a space with an Operation Mobility symbol may be subject to a parking infringement. The offence must be observed by our Parking Safety Officers.

Q. How long do people have to pay their parking infringement?
A. They have 28 days from the date the parking infringement was issued to pay. It is not possible to pay in instalments.

Q. What can people do if they’ve misplaced or lost their parking infringement?
A. They need to supply their vehicle’s licence plate number and the date of offence, and we will provide the infringement notice number for payment.

Q. What happens if they don’t pay the parking infringement?
A. A reminder notice is sent out by us if the fee is not paid on or before 28 days. The reminder notice allows another 28 days to pay before the infringement notice is referred to the Ministry of Justice.

Q. What happens when an infringement is lodged with the Ministry of Justice?
A. The Council can no longer accept payment or an appeal for the parking infringement and the Ministry of Justice will add a Court fee to the infringement. You should refer people to the Ministry of Justice infringement and payments website for more information.

Q. What if the person wasn’t driving the vehicle at the time of the infringement notice?
A. Refer them to our Appeal a Parking Infringement page for information on this process.

Q. What if they don’t agree with the infringement and want to appeal?
A. It is possible to appeal against it within 40 days from the date of issue, but the appeal has to be in writing. Refer to the Appeal a Parking Infringement page.

Q. Does the Council enforce parking on footpaths?
A. Yes, it is an offence to park a vehicle on a footpath under the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004.

Q. Does the Council enforce parking on grass berms/verges?
A. It is an offence to park a vehicle on a grass berm or verge if the berm/verge is separated from the road by a kerb or footpath, under the Selwyn District Council Traffic and Parking Bylaw 2009. This rule only applies to residential zoned land. Also, under the Bylaw, it is an offence to park on a grass berm or verge where the Council has placed signs indicating no stopping or parking.

Q. How many complaints about parking offences does the Council receive?
A. Year on year the numbers of complaints have been increasing. In 2021 we received 456 which is still higher than previous year, despite COVID lock down periods. In the first eight months of 2022 we have already received 299 complaints.