Publicly Notified Resource Consents
Below are our current publicly notified resource consents. The link for the status will take you directly to our Resource Consent system so that you can see the current status of the consent.
Because of their possible environmental effects, many activities need a resource consent from the Council.
You have the right to inspect the following consent application(s) at any Council service centre during normal office hours and to make a submission supporting or opposing it.
Current Notified Resource Consents
RC185622 - Bathurst Coal Limited
Address for service: Bathurst Coal Limited. C/- Edwina White. PO Box 5963, Lambton Quay, Wellington 6145. Email: Edwina.White@bathurst.co.nz
The Canterbury Regional Council and Selwyn District Council have received applications from Bathurst Coal Limited for various resource consents to continue operating and expand an open cast coal mine (known as Canterbury Coal Mine), including retrospective and future operation, at Bush Gully Road, Malvern Hills, in the Selwyn District.
The application site has been nominated by the Applicant. It comprises all of Pt Lot 3 DP 6591 (CB24B/403, CB7D/1140) and portions of the following: Legal Road (Bush Gully Road), RS 32347 (CB41A/436, CB8B/920), Pt Lot 2 DP 6591 (CB24B/403, CB576/48, CB7D/967), Pt Lot 2 DP 6591 (CB651/33), Pt Lot 1 DP 18018 (CB2D/1450, CB7D/965), Pt Lot 3 DP 6591 (CB651/33, CB7D/969) and Lot 3 DP 8898 (CB5A/1042).
The retrospective and future mining activity proposed includes ground disturbance, earthworks, removal and stockpiling of overburden, coal extraction, coal crushing and screening, trucking of coal from the site, trucking of Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR – coal ash) to the site, formation of Engineered Landforms (ELFs), incorporation of overburden/CCR/mussel shells into the ELFs, site rehabilitation and replanting.
Stormwater and drainage water are collected and conveyed to storage ponds on site for treatment, re-use for dust suppression and periodic discharge to the Tara Stream/Wetland.
The proposed hours of operation are 24 hours covering six days and five nights a week, with some restrictions and exceptions. The operation includes night-time lighting of the mine, establishment of buildings and signage, reworking and rehabilitation of historical mine sites, dust suppression measures, light/service vehicle movements and the removal of wetland/seepages and indigenous and non-indigenous vegetation.
The applicant has applied for the following resource consents:
Canterbury Regional Council
- CRC184166 – To undertake earthworks in the high soil erosion risk area, and earthworks and vegetation clearance in riparian margins, including the removal of wetland vegetation.
- CRC200500 – To discharge contaminants to air (fugitive dust) from within the mine operations area.
- CRC201366 – To take surface water from artificial ponds, to divert surface run-off resulting in changes to sub-catchment boundaries and to store water in artificial ponds.
- CRC201367 – To take groundwater (via drainage systems)
- CRC201368 – To discharge sediment and mine influenced water, drainage water and residual contaminants from the treatment of water, to Tara Stream/Wetland.
- CRC203016 – To discharge coal combustion residuals, lime products and mussel shells to land and to water (artificial watercourses)
The following consent terms have been sought:
- CRC184166: 20 years;
- CRC200500: 35 years;
- CRC201366, CRC201367, CRC201368: 20 years; and
- CRC203016: 20 years.
Selwyn District Council
- RC185622 – To expand Canterbury Coal Mine, retrospective and future (a bundled land use application comprising two application documents and further information)
The Bathurst Coal Limited applications may be viewed online at ECan's website.
Any person may make a written submission on any of the above applications.
All submissions should be sent to Environment Canterbury, PO Box 345, Christchurch 8140; or emailed to: email@example.com; with any signed written copy to be sent to the Applicant at the address for service detailed above.
Alternately an online submission to both applications can be made.
A submission should include your name, address and phone number; the applicant’s name and consent application number. A submission must state your reason for submission, whether you support or oppose the application and if you wish to be heard in support of your submission.
Given the current National Emergency of Covid 19 Level 4, Environment Canterbury and Selwyn District Council has extended the submission period for the Bathurst Coal Mine resource consent application. The submission period will now close on Monday 18 May 2020, and not the date previously advertised. Please be advised that as the Covid19 situation develops there may be further changes to this timeframe and we will communicates any of those well ahead of time.
RC205014 - Johnston Civil Limited
The Selwyn District Council received a resource consent application from Johnston Civil Limited on 15 January 2020 seeking to undertake a four lot residential subdivision at 28 Manse Road, Leeston. The Council has made the decision to Publicly Notify the application.
Given the current Covid 19 restrictions, the Selwyn District Council has extended the submission period for the Johnston Civil Ltd resource consent application. The submission period will now close on Tuesday 26 May 2020, and not the date previously advertised. Please be advised that as the Covid 19 situation develops there may be further changes to this timeframe and we will communicate any of those well ahead of time.
- Form 12 [PDF, 51 KB]
- Application [PDF, 3710 KB]
- S95 Report [PDF, 144 KB]
- Hearing Report [PDF, 3505 KB]
- Applicants evidence report [PDF, 1219 KB]
- Decision [PDF, 77 KB]
RC195454 – Lincoln Developments Limited
The Selwyn District Council received a resource consent application from Lincoln Developments Ltd on 7 August 2019 seeking to construct and operate a supermarket and café at 581 Birchs Road. The site is legally defined as Lot 4000 DP 529896 and is zoned Living Z in the Selwyn District Plan. The key features of the proposed development include the construction and operation of a 3063m2 supermarket and 80m2 café, with associated signage and car parking for 176 cars. Vehicle access is provided from Birchs Road and proposed Makybe Terrace. The Council has made the decision to Publicly Notify the application.
Given the current Covid 19 restrictions, the Selwyn District Council has extended the submission period for the Lincoln Developments Ltd resource consent application. The submission period will now close on Tuesday 26 May 2020, and not the date previously advertised. Please be advised that as the Covid 19 situation develops there may be further changes to this timeframe and we will communicate any of those well ahead of time.
Attached Documents (PDF Files up to 15MB)
- Form 12
- RC195454 s95 Notification Report Signed with Attachments
- Application as lodged; Appendix1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7 & AEE
- Request for Further Information; Traffic & Economic Review
- Response to Request for Further Information; Traffic & Economic Report, Final Plans & Elevations
- Section 42A hearing report [PDF, 548 KB] Appendix 1, 1a, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
Applicants Expert Evidence
Statement of Evidence
- Alexander West - Acoustics
- Oliver Shaw - Corporate
- Richard Knott - Urban Design
- James Whittaker - Traffic
- Daniel Kamo - Landscape
- Mike Foster - Planning
Applicants Right of Reply
Right of Reply
RC195454 - Decision [PDF, 457 KB]
Submissions may be made in writing to the Selwyn District Council by the closing date for such submissions.
All submissions must be dated and signed by the person making the submission, and must contain the following information:
- Full name, postal address, telephone number and email (as well as fax number if applicable).
- Details of the application in respect of which submission is being made (this is to include the location and application number).
- Whether the application is supported or opposed should be clearly indicated.
- Your submission should include the reasons you support or oppose the application.
- The decision you believe the Consent Authority should make.
- Whether you wish to be heard in support of your submission at any hearing which may be convened to determine the matter.
A copy of your submission must be served as soon as is reasonably practicable on the applicant.
You can download a submission form 13 and post or deliver to one of our service centres or make an online submission or email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
This notice is issued under Section 93(2) of the Resource Management Act 1991.
You can pick up a booklet on the Resource Consent process from the Building and Planning Department counter at the Rolleston Office.
Further information on the process is available from the Ministry for the Environment.
Decision Notified - Notified Resource Consents
If you have any questions, please contact the Duty Planner, Ph 0800 SELWYN or email email@example.com