Publicly Notified Resource Consents
Below are our current publicly notified resource consents. The link for the status will take you directly to our Resource Consent system so that you can see the current status of the consent.
Because of their possible environmental effects, many activities need a resource consent from the Council.
You have the right to inspect the following consent application(s) at any Council service centre during normal office hours and to make a submission supporting or opposing it.
Current Notified Resource Consents
RC216016 - Foodstuffs (South Island) Properties Limited
Address for Service - Foodstuffs (South Island) Properties Limited, Attn Mark Allan, C/- Aurecon NZ Limited, PO Box 1061, Christchurch 8140. Email: Mark.Allan@aurecongroup.com
The Selwyn District Council received a resource consent application from Foodstuffs (South Island) Properties Limited to erect and operate a supermarket (Rolleston PAK'nSAVE) at 157 Levi Road, Rolleston. The key features of the proposed development include the construction and operation of a 7,232m2 supermarket, with associated signage and carparking for 517 cars.
The Resource Management Act 1991 provides for the correction of minor mistakes or defects in a consent under section 133A. Two minor mistakes or errors have been noted in the original decision that required correction. These are reference in Condition 1 to “X pages” to be updated to reflect the number of plans in the decision documents; and to update Condition 1(v) that references the Abley plan that was updated by the applicant in response to discussion with Selwyn District Council. The relevant plan has also been replaced and entered into the Council records.
RC216016 - Amended Decision and Approved Plans (Dated 1-November 2022)
The Commissioner decision was issued on Thursday 29th September 2022.
RC216016 - Commissioner Decision and Approved Plans
Right of Appeal
Your attention is drawn to the provisions of Section 120, 121 and 357 of the Resource Management Act which allows for objections to, and appeals against, decisions made by consent authorities.
Any party to this application may, within 15 working days of the receipt of this decision, appeal to the Environment Court pursuant to Section 120 of the Resource Management Act.
The Christchurch address of the Environment Court is:
99-101 Cambridge Terrace
PO BOX 2069
Tel: (03) 365-0905
Fax: (03) 365-1740
The procedure for lodging an appeal is set out in Section 121 of the Resource Management Act. The appeal should be made on Form 16. Clauses 16 to 27 of the Resource Management Act Regulations 2003 also set out important information.
Section 121 of the Resource Management Act sets out the persons upon whom the appeal must be served and the time when service must take place. It is essential that these provisions be adhered to. Failure to do so may result in the appeal being struck out.
Copies of the Resource Management Act are available online at www.legislation.govt.nz or at the Selwyn District Council office in Rolleston.
If you are in any doubt as to the procedure to be followed it is strongly recommended that you seek planning and/or legal advice.
Commissioners Minute (8)
The following Commissioners Minute was received on Tuesday 27th September 2022-
Commissioners Minute (7)
The following Commissioners Minute was received on Thursday 15th September 2022-
The hearing was formally closed on 6th September 2022.
Commissioners Minute (6)
The following Commissioners Minute was received on Tuesday 6th September 2022-
Commissioners Minute (5)
The following Commissioners Minute was received on Monday 29th August 2022 -
Applicants Right of Reply
The following Right of Reply and Appendices were received on Friday 19th August 2022 -
Legal Submission in Reply on behalf of Foodstuffs South Island
Appendix 2 - Draft Conditions of Consent with SDC Feedback
Appendix 3 - Applicant's Preferred Conditions of Consent
Appendix 4A - McCoy Wixon Architects - Plans
Appendix 4B - Rough Milne Mitchell Landscape Architects - Plans
Appendix 4C - Pedersen Read - Lighting Layout
Appendix 4D - Powell Fenwick
Appendix 4E - Abley - Levi Road Roundabout Concept
Appendix 5 - McCoy Wixon Architects - Perspective View
Commissioners Minute (4)
The following Commissioners Minute was received on Friday 5th August 2022 -
The hearing was adjourned on Thursday 4th August 2022.
Summary Statements - Council
Jane Anderson - Council Planning Officer
Gabi Wolfer – Urban Design
Gabriel Ross – Landscape Architect
William Reeve – Acoustics
Andy Carr - Traffic
The following document was submitted into Evidence by the Applicant and accepted by the Commissioner on Wednesdayy 3rd August 2022 as 'Appendix 1' -
The following document was received on Tuesday 2 August 2022 -
Legal Submission - Alex Booker
Joint Witness Statement
The following Joint Witness Statement for Transport was received on 1 August 2022 from Dave Smith and Andy Carr -
Joint Witness Statement - Transport
Summary of Statements
The following Summary of Statements were received by Council on Monday 1st August 2022
Andrew Burns - Urban Design [PDF, 120 KB]
David Smith - Transport [PDF, 200 KB]
Fraser Colegrave - Economics [PDF, 88 KB]
Mark Allan - Planning [PDF, 299 KB]
Matthew MItchell - Architect [PDF, 185 KB]
Rebecca Parish - Foodstuffs Representative [PDF, 85 KB]
Rob Hay - Acoustics [PDF, 82 KB]
Tony Milne - Landscape [PDF, 148 KB]
Matthew Mitchell - Appendix 1 [PDF, 1654 KB]
Tony Milne - Graphic Attachment [PDF, 16279 KB]
Commissioners Minute (3)
The following Minute was received on Friday 29 July 2022
Applicants Response to Minute (Memorandum of Counsel 2)
The following Memorandum of Counsel was received from the Applicants Solicitor in response to Commissioners Minute (2) on Friday 29 July 2022 -
Commissioners Minute (2)
The following Minute was received on Friday 29 July 2022 -
Joint Witness Statement and Memorandum of Counsel 1
The following documents were received from the Applicants Solicitor on Thursday 28 July 2022 -
Memorandum of Counsel 1 [PDF, 78 KB]
Joint Witness Statements (Acoustics - Rob Hay and William Reeve) [PDF, 40 KB]
Affected Parties Approval
The following Affected Parties Approval were received from the Applicant on Wednesday 20th July 2022 -
Gould Developments Limited [PDF, 2962 KB]
Four Stars Development Limited [PDF, 2889 KB]
Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen [PDF, 2955 KB]
Applicant's Evidence for Hearing
The following evidence was been received from the Applicant on Monday 18th July 2022 -
Statement of Evidence - Andrew Burns - Urban Design [PDF, 892 KB]
Statement of Evidence - David Smith - Transport [PDF, 6904 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Fiona Ambury - Stormwater and CRC requirements [PDF, 90 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Fraser Colegrave - Economics [PDF, 127 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Greg Kitto - Lighting [PDF, 498 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Guy Knoyle - Soil Contamination [PDF, 153 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Keegan Brogden - Civil Design [PDF, 191 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Mark Allan - Planning [PDF, 404 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Matthew Mitchell - Architect [PDF, 897 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Rebecca Parish - Foodstuffs Representative [PDF, 521 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Rob Hay - Acoustic [PDF, 178 KB]
Statement of Evidence - Tony Milne - Landscape [PDF, 258 KB]
Matthew Mitchell - Architectural Drawings [PDF, 6833 KB]
Tony Milne - Graphic Attachments [PDF, 16690 KB]
s42a report and appendices from the Council Planner.
1. s42a - Planners Hearing Report [PDF, 1126 KB]
2. Appendix 1 - Application [, 0 KB]
3. Appendix 2a – Request for Further Information [PDF, 110 KB]
4. Appendix 2b – RFI response including Attachments [, 0 KB]
5. Appendix 2c – Second Transport RFI Response [PDF, 1731 KB]
6. Appendix 2d – Outstanding Transportation Matters [PDF, 655 KB]
7. Appendix 2e – Attachment to Outstanding Transportation Matters [PDF, 7595 KB]
8. Appendix 4 – Urban Design Evidence [PDF, 1667 KB]
9. Appendix 5 – Landscape and Visual Peer Review [PDF, 606 KB]
10. Appendix 6 – Landscape and Visual Evidence [PDF, 80 KB]
11. Appendix 7 – Acoustic Peer Review [PDF, 140 KB]
12. Appendix 8 – Acoustic Evidence [PDF, 122 KB]
13. Appendix 9 – Transportation Peer Review [PDF, 299 KB]
14. Appendix 10 – Transportation Evidence [PDF, 339 KB]
15. Appendix 11 – Economics Peer Review [PDF, 486 KB]
Commissioners Minute (1)
The following Minute was received on 17 June 2022 -
A hearing will be held on Tuesday 2nd, Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th August 2022. The hearing will be held at Te Ara Ātea in the Te Whare Tapere room starting from 9.00am each day. All members of the public, submitters and other interested parties are welcome to attend.
The timetable for the hearing will be as follows -
Day One - Tuesday 2nd August 2022 [PDF, 104 KB]
Day Two - Wednesday 3rd August 2022 [PDF, 106 KB]
Day Three - Thursday 4th August 2022 [PDF, 101 KB]
Please allow for disruptions to the timetable as it may run ahead or behind of schedule.
The Council has made the decision to Publicly Notify the application on 5th May 2022. The submission period closed on 2 June 2022 at 5.00pm.
The following submissions have been received -
1. Stephen & Beth-Ann Roche [PDF, 4366 KB]
2. Nicole Davidson [PDF, 94 KB]
3. Heidi Youard [PDF, 96 KB]
4. Paul Lewis [PDF, 94 KB]
5. Robert Luo [PDF, 1187 KB]
6. Richard Gould [PDF, 97 KB]
7. Alan & Kathleen Haylock [PDF, 1330 KB]
8. John Benefield [PDF, 96 KB]
9. Tracy Gonzalez [PDF, 95 KB]
10. Dwight Fray [PDF, 97 KB]
11. Swati Singh [PDF, 93 KB]
12. Carolina Hoden [PDF, 94 KB]
13. Demelza Faimalo [PDF, 93 KB]
14. Maryana Hamilton [PDF, 95 KB]
15. Felicha Lawry [PDF, 94 KB]
16. Rachel Bermudez [PDF, 95 KB]
17. Andrew Mckay [PDF, 94 KB]
18. Melanie Bond [PDF, 94 KB]
19. Mark Batty [PDF, 95 KB]
20. Alex Prince [PDF, 114 KB]
21. Paul Taylor [PDF, 93 KB]
22. Yvonne McKinlay [PDF, 94 KB]
23. Chantal Austin [PDF, 95 KB]
24. Peter Westerlund & Lina Ili [PDF, 564 KB]
25. Mark Guyton [PDF, 95 KB]
26. Zephyr Guyton [PDF, 94 KB]
27. Jessica Samy [PDF, 88 KB]
28. Shona Robb [PDF, 2956 KB]
29. Peter Reynolds [PDF, 96 KB]
30. Ian Paki [PDF, 98 KB]
31. Joan Murphy [PDF, 95 KB]
32. Janelle Rea [PDF, 97 KB]
33. Jonathan & Margaret Andersen [PDF, 170 KB]
34. Sam McGee [PDF, 94 KB]
35. Kimberly Vernall [PDF, 95 KB]
36. Sonja Ackermann [PDF, 109 KB]
37. Kirill Ikonnikov [PDF, 94 KB]
38. Nicholas & Glenda Brown [PDF, 256 KB]
39. Geoffrey Hallberg [PDF, 99 KB]
40. Katrina Whitehead [PDF, 98 KB]
41. Jean Marie Smith & Shirley McGrath [PDF, 2024 KB]
42. Helen Buyers [PDF, 98 KB]
43. BTW Company on behalf of Harbour Partnership Limited [PDF, 521 KB]
44. BTW Company on behalf of group [PDF, 559 KB]
45. Alistair Grant [PDF, 729 KB]
46. Jodie Brooks [PDF, 96 KB]
47. Jason Brooks [PDF, 98 KB]
Late submissions - to be minuted by Commissioner
48. Brendan Shefford [PDF, 97 KB]
49. Shane & Donna Webb [PDF, 263 KB]
Public Notification - Form 12 [PDF, 210 KB]
s95A Report [PDF, 210 KB]
Application and AEE [PDF, 2278 KB]
Appendix A - Architectural Drawings, Renders and Design Statement [PDF, 2183 KB]
Appendix B - Record of Title [PDF, 260 KB]
Appendix C - Geotechnical Desktop Assessment [PDF, 290 KB]
Appendix D - Preliminary Site Investigation (PSI) [PDF, 7754 KB]
Appendix E - Integrated Transport Assessment [PDF, 2682 KB]
Appendix F - Landscape Plan and Assessment [PDF, 44031 KB]
Appendix G - Civil Design Advice Memorandum and Erosion and Sediment Control Plan [PDF, 14069 KB]
Appendix H - Operative Selwyn District Plan Compliance Assessment [PDF, 244 KB]
Appendix I - Economic Assessment [PDF, 2136 KB]
Appendix J - Acoustic Assessment [PDF, 621 KB]
Appendix K - Urban Design Assessment [PDF, 1890 KB]
Appendix L - Regional Consenting Requirements Memorandum [PDF, 553 KB]
Request for Further Information [PDF, 110 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - Abbley [PDF, 12964 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - Aurecon [PDF, 295 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - ECAN [PDF, 91 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - Revised Landscape Assessment - Part One [PDF, 2850 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - Revised Landscape Assessment - Part Two [PDF, 3090 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - Revised Landscape Assessment - Part Three [PDF, 7790 KB]
Request for Further Information Response - Remaining Documents [PDF, 32166 KB]
Supplementary Information - Transport RFI Response [PDF, 1731 KB]
Transportation Report Peer Review [PDF, 299 KB]
Landscape and Visual Effects Assessment Peer Review [PDF, 606 KB]
Urban Design Review [PDF, 1735 KB]
Acoustic Assessment Peer Review [PDF, 140 KB]
Economic Assessment Peer Review [PDF, 367 KB]
RC185622 - Bathurst Coal Limited
Address for service: Bathurst Coal Limited. C/- Edwina White. PO Box 5963, Lambton Quay, Wellington 6145. Email: Edwina.White@bathurst.co.nz
The Canterbury Regional Council and Selwyn District Council have received applications from Bathurst Coal Limited for various resource consents to continue operating and expand an open cast coal mine (known as Canterbury Coal Mine), including retrospective and future operation, at Bush Gully Road, Malvern Hills, in the Selwyn District.
The application site has been nominated by the Applicant. It comprises all of Pt Lot 3 DP 6591 (CB24B/403, CB7D/1140) and portions of the following: Legal Road (Bush Gully Road), RS 32347 (CB41A/436, CB8B/920), Pt Lot 2 DP 6591 (CB24B/403, CB576/48, CB7D/967), Pt Lot 2 DP 6591 (CB651/33), Pt Lot 1 DP 18018 (CB2D/1450, CB7D/965), Pt Lot 3 DP 6591 (CB651/33, CB7D/969) and Lot 3 DP 8898 (CB5A/1042).
The retrospective and future mining activity proposed includes ground disturbance, earthworks, removal and stockpiling of overburden, coal extraction, coal crushing and screening, trucking of coal from the site, trucking of Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR – coal ash) to the site, formation of Engineered Landforms (ELFs), incorporation of overburden/CCR/mussel shells into the ELFs, site rehabilitation and replanting.
Stormwater and drainage water are collected and conveyed to storage ponds on site for treatment, re-use for dust suppression and periodic discharge to the Tara Stream/Wetland.
The proposed hours of operation are 24 hours covering six days and five nights a week, with some restrictions and exceptions. The operation includes night-time lighting of the mine, establishment of buildings and signage, reworking and rehabilitation of historical mine sites, dust suppression measures, light/service vehicle movements and the removal of wetland/seepages and indigenous and non-indigenous vegetation.
The applicant has applied for the following resource consents:
Canterbury Regional Council
- CRC184166 – To undertake earthworks in the high soil erosion risk area, and earthworks and vegetation clearance in riparian margins, including the removal of wetland vegetation.
- CRC200500 – To discharge contaminants to air (fugitive dust) from within the mine operations area.
- CRC201366 – To take surface water from artificial ponds, to divert surface run-off resulting in changes to sub-catchment boundaries and to store water in artificial ponds.
- CRC201367 – To take groundwater (via drainage systems)
- CRC201368 – To discharge sediment and mine influenced water, drainage water and residual contaminants from the treatment of water, to Tara Stream/Wetland.
- CRC203016 – To discharge coal combustion residuals, lime products and mussel shells to land and to water (artificial watercourses)
The following consent terms have been sought:
- CRC184166: 20 years;
- CRC200500: 35 years;
- CRC201366, CRC201367, CRC201368: 20 years; and
- CRC203016: 20 years.
Selwyn District Council
- RC185622 – To expand Canterbury Coal Mine, retrospective and future (a bundled land use application comprising two application documents and further information)
The Bathurst Coal Limited applications may be viewed online at ECan's website.
Any person may make a written submission on any of the above applications.
All submissions should be sent to Environment Canterbury, PO Box 345, Christchurch 8140; or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org; with any signed written copy to be sent to the Applicant at the address for service detailed above.
Alternately an online submission to both applications can be made.
A submission should include your name, address and phone number; the applicant’s name and consent application number. A submission must state your reason for submission, whether you support or oppose the application and if you wish to be heard in support of your submission.
For advice on the Environment Canterbury and Selwyn District Council applications please email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Given the current National Emergency of Covid 19 Level 4, Environment Canterbury and Selwyn District Council has extended the submission period for the Bathurst Coal Mine resource consent application. The submission period will now close on Monday 18 May 2020, and not the date previously advertised. Please be advised that as the Covid19 situation develops there may be further changes to this timeframe and we will communicates any of those well ahead of time.
RC205014 - Johnston Civil Limited
The Selwyn District Council received a resource consent application from Johnston Civil Limited on 15 January 2020 seeking to undertake a four lot residential subdivision at 28 Manse Road, Leeston. The Council has made the decision to Publicly Notify the application.
Given the current Covid 19 restrictions, the Selwyn District Council has extended the submission period for the Johnston Civil Ltd resource consent application. The submission period will now close on Tuesday 26 May 2020, and not the date previously advertised. Please be advised that as the Covid 19 situation develops there may be further changes to this timeframe and we will communicate any of those well ahead of time.
- Form 12 [PDF, 51 KB]
- Application [PDF, 3710 KB]
- S95 Report [PDF, 144 KB]
- Hearing Report [PDF, 3505 KB]
- Applicants evidence report [PDF, 1219 KB]
- Decision [PDF, 77 KB]
RC195454 – Lincoln Developments Limited
The Selwyn District Council received a resource consent application from Lincoln Developments Ltd on 7 August 2019 seeking to construct and operate a supermarket and café at 581 Birchs Road. The site is legally defined as Lot 4000 DP 529896 and is zoned Living Z in the Selwyn District Plan. The key features of the proposed development include the construction and operation of a 3063m2 supermarket and 80m2 café, with associated signage and car parking for 176 cars. Vehicle access is provided from Birchs Road and proposed Makybe Terrace. The Council has made the decision to Publicly Notify the application.
Given the current Covid 19 restrictions, the Selwyn District Council has extended the submission period for the Lincoln Developments Ltd resource consent application. The submission period will now close on Tuesday 26 May 2020, and not the date previously advertised. Please be advised that as the Covid 19 situation develops there may be further changes to this timeframe and we will communicate any of those well ahead of time.
Attached Documents (PDF Files up to 15MB)
- Form 12
- RC195454 s95 Notification Report Signed with Attachments
- Application as lodged; Appendix1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7 & AEE
- Request for Further Information; Traffic & Economic Review
- Response to Request for Further Information; Traffic & Economic Report, Final Plans & Elevations
- Section 42A hearing report [PDF, 548 KB] Appendix 1, 1a, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
Applicants Expert Evidence
Statement of Evidence
- Alexander West - Acoustics
- Oliver Shaw - Corporate
- Richard Knott - Urban Design
- James Whittaker - Traffic
- Daniel Kamo - Landscape
- Mike Foster - Planning
Applicants Right of Reply
Right of Reply
RC195454 - Decision [PDF, 457 KB]
Submissions may be made in writing to the Selwyn District Council by the closing date for such submissions.
All submissions must be dated and signed by the person making the submission, and must contain the following information:
- Full name, postal address, telephone number and email (as well as fax number if applicable).
- Details of the application in respect of which submission is being made (this is to include the location and application number).
- Whether the application is supported or opposed should be clearly indicated.
- Your submission should include the reasons you support or oppose the application.
- The decision you believe the Consent Authority should make.
- Whether you wish to be heard in support of your submission at any hearing which may be convened to determine the matter.
A copy of your submission must be served as soon as is reasonably practicable on the applicant.
You can download a submission form 13 and post or deliver to one of our service centres or make an online submission or email your submission to email@example.com
This notice is issued under Section 93(2) of the Resource Management Act 1991.
You can pick up a booklet on the Resource Consent process from the Building and Planning Department counter at the Rolleston Office.
Further information on the process is available from the Ministry for the Environment.
Decision Notified - Notified Resource Consents
If you have any questions, please contact the Duty Planner, Ph 0800 SELWYN or email firstname.lastname@example.org