In this section
Due to COVID-19 restrictions at Alert Levels 3 and 4, we haven’t been able to process all of the received dog registrations. However, we would like to reassure you that if you have paid your dog’s registration fee, we can see your transaction.
While waiting for your 2021 dog tag (‘One Tag ’) to arrive, we suggest you keep the old blue 2020 tag on your registered dog
At the moment we have a backlog of around 1,500 dog registrations which we will be able to work through once we are under COVID-19 Alert Level 2 and we are able to get back into our offices. At this stage we envisage that there will be around a four-week delay to get all due dog tags out.
To recognise the challenges COVID-19 measures have put on us and Selwyn dog owners, we have decided to extend the registration due date for the remaining unregistered dogs until 30 September 2021.
Also an infringement fee of $300 for any unregistered dogs may now be issued by the Council after September.
If you have any difficulty with making your dog registration payment or have any further queries about dog registration, please contact us at 0800 SELWYN (735 996) or firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to help you.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your dog is registered
The penalties for non-registration can be expensive. All dogs must be registered once they reach three months regardless of the time of the year. You are then required to re register your dog every year beginning 1 July.
This year (2021) we are introducing ‘One Tag’ - metal tags that replace the current plastic tags which dog owners have to swap every year they renew their dog’s registration. For more information check out One Tag web page .
To register your new dog, fill in a dog registration form [PDF, 343 KB] and bring it to any Council Service Centre or email to us. Once we have set you up on our system you will be able to use Dogs Online for updating details and paying dog registration. Once we have received your form with all your dog's details we will calculate the outstanding dog registration fee due. Registration fees for new dogs is based on a number of factors including the age of your new dog and any other dogs you may have. For more information on the fees please check our 2021/2022 dog registration fees flyer [PDF, 129 KB].
Once your dog is registered you will then receive a re-registration notice automatically every year for the whole 12 month registration period.
Re-registration notices will arrive via email or in hardcopy in mailboxes by July 1 each year. Owners will then have a month in which to make their best friends legal during the discount fee period. After 31 July you will need to pay full fee.
We are seeking email addresses for all dog owners. To provide your email address, please email us.
It's important to let us know of any changes to your dog registration record:
- If you change your address within Selwyn district you must let us know immediately. Just contact us by phone or drop us an email so that we can keep your records current.
- If you have left Selwyn district completely, please let us know as soon as possible. Once we have taken you off our records, you might want to hold onto the One Tag in case you come back to Selwyn as you will be able to use the same tag again. When moving to another district you will need to get a new dog tag from the local council but it should be at no extra charge.
- If you have moved to Selwyn district recently, you will need bring to us the dog tag from the other Council or another proof of registration, and we will give you our One Tag at no extra charge.
- If you plan on coming back to Selwyn then the One tag can be held onto and resurrected when you return you can take the Selwyn dog tag into your new council and get a tag from them at no extra charge.
- When you sell or give your dog away, you have 14 days to provide us with the new owner's complete details. This must include the name and address of the new owner.
- While we understand how painful it can be if your dog passes away, you still need to let us know as soon as you are able to. We will refund a part of the fee, calculated on the complete months yet to run in the registration year if you tell us of your dog passing, in writing. This needs to be done as soon as possible to ensure you get the most out of your refund. If you don't wish to get a refund you can phone or email us.
To contact us regarding any of the above, please contact us.