At all times when alcohol is available for sale to the public in an On or Off licensed premises and in some clubs, a manager who holds a current Manager's Certificate must be on duty. The manager is responsible for compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, the conditions of the licence and the conduct of the premises.

Obtaining a Manager's Certificate

There is now only one type of manager's certificate which will be called a Manager's Certificate. If you hold an existing General Manager's Certificate or Club Manager's Certificate, it will continue in force until its expiry date. When you come to renew your certificate, or if you are applying for a new certificate, you will need to hold the new qualification.

You need to be 20 years of age to hold a Manager's Certificate. If you already hold a Manager's Certificate and are under the age of 20, your certificate will continue in force until its expiry date.

Manager's Certificate Qualifications

Under the new regulations, managers must have obtained:

  • Two Unit Standards: 4646 "Demonstrate knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012"; and 16705 "Demonstrate knowledge of host responsibility requirements as a duty manager of licensed premises", (or the previous versions under the old Sale of Liquor Act 1989); and have either
  • A Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) issued under the new Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012; or
  • Have an LCQ issued under the old Sale of Liquor Act 1989 and successfully completed the LCQ Bridging Test.

The Licence Controller Qualification Training Providers

Applying for a Manager's Certificate

Once you have completed your Licence Controller Qualification training course, and have about 6 months experience of working in the job, you can apply for a Manager's Certificate.  Please read the information sheet, and download the application form and questionnaire below. You must attach all the documents listed on the form. The application fee for a Manager's Certificate is $316.25. Once your complete application is received, you will be contacted for an interview with a Licensing Inspector.

Notice of Management Change

When a licensee appoints a Temporary Manager or Acting Manager they must notify the Police and District Licensing Committee of that change using the following form:


Related Links