At all times when alcohol is available for sale to the public in an On or Off licensed premises and in some clubs, a manager who holds a current Manager's Certificate must be on duty. The manager is responsible for compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, the conditions of the licence and the conduct of the premises.
Obtaining a Manager's Certificate
You need to be 20 years of age to hold a Manager's Certificate and you also need to have had approximately six months experience working in the industry before a manager’s certificate will be granted.
Manager's Certificate Qualifications
Under the regulations, new managers must have obtained:
- Two Unit Standards: 4646 "Demonstrate knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012"; and 16705 "Demonstrate knowledge of host responsibility requirements as a duty manager of licensed premises", (or the previous versions under the old Sale of Liquor Act 1989); and have:
- A Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) issued under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
For renewals of Managers Certificates, applicants must have:
- A Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) issued under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 OR;
- Have an LCQ issued under the old Sale of Liquor Act 1989 and successfully completed the LCQ Bridging Test.
Licence Controller Qualification Training Providers
Applying for a Manager's Certificate
Once you have completed your Licence Controller Qualification training course and have completed or are working towards your six months experience working in the industry , you can apply for your Manager's Certificate. Please read the information sheet and download the application form and questionnaire below. You must attach all the documents listed on the form. The application fee for a Manager's Certificate is $316.25. Once your completed application is received you will be contacted by the Chief Licensing Inspector for an interview.
Notice of Management Change
When a licensee appoints a Temporary Manager or Acting Manager they must notify the Police and District Licensing Committee of that change using the form below.
- Application for Managers Certificate and Renewal of Managers Certificate [PDF, 248 KB]
- Managers Certificate Questionnaire [PDF, 145 KB]
- Notice of Management Change [PDF, 116 KB]