If you are taking over an existing business that is licensed to sell alcohol you will need to apply for a Temporary Authority to be able to continue to sell alcohol. A Temporary Authority allows the new owner of a licensed premises to trade on the existing licence until they obtain a new licence in their own name. It is issued for three months.
If possible, an application for a Temporary Authority should be lodged at least 20 working days before the takeover date. This allows the Inspector and Police to enquire into the application, and for the District Licensing Committee to meet to determine it. It is recommended that this timeframe be taken into account when agreeing on a takeover date.
To apply for a Temporary Authority you will need to complete the application form, attach a copy of the sale and purchase agreement and copy of the lease agreement, and pay the application fee.
To apply online through Business Connect you will need to set up a RealMe 'Selwyn District Council' account (see below). If you require any assistance please contact our Alcohol Licensing Administrators at Food and Health Standards Ltd on 03 365 1667
- Right click on Business Connect (select 'open link in a new tab')
- Login using your RealMe account. If you don’t have a RealMe account, you can follow the link to quickly create one.
- If it’s your first time logging onto Business Connect, you will need to create an account using your email address.
- Once you have you have done that, go to the Business Connect dashboard.
- lick the Alcohol License tab.
Click the check eligibility button once you have read the information.
- Select ‘Selwyn District Council' in the 'Your Council' field.
- Complete the application form.
Local Alcohol Policy
Selwyn District Council has had a Local Alcohol Policy [PDF, 116 KB] as of 24th April 2017.