An On Licence allows the sale and supply of alcohol for consumption in or on the specified licensed premises i.e. restaurants, cafes, taverns and hotels. The licensed area is defined on plans provided by the applicant and may include outside areas such as decks, gardens, etc.
On Licences can also be issued for conveyances such as boats or trains.
Please use the attached forms for licence application:
- Application Form for On Licence [PDF, 1673 KB]
- Guidelines for On Licence Application [PDF, 319 KB]
- Application and information for Certificate of Compliance [PDF, 85 KB]
An information sheet is available that details how to make an application.
To sell alcohol you must also have food available, this my mean you need a food licence.
Local Alcohol Policy
Selwyn District Council has had a Local Alcohol Policy [PDF, 116 KB] in place as of 24th April 2017.
Requirements for On Licences
Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act there are criteria that your business must meet to be issued a new or renewed licence. These include the suitability of the applicant, the hours proposed, the design and layout of the premises, and whether the amenity and good order of the locality will be affected by the business. The application form details the information that needs to be provided as part of the application.
- Criteria for Issue of New On and Off Licences - Information Sheet [PDF, 34 KB]
- Criteria for Renewal of On and Off Licences - Information Sheet [PDF, 34 KB]
There are also new rules around maximum trading hours, host responsibilities and the advertising and promotion of alcohol.
- Information about the new Act on the Ministry of Justice website
- Alcohol Licensing - Information Sheet [PDF, 148 KB]
- Read the full Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
- Sale of Alcohol Fees and Charges
- Guidance on Alcohol Promotions by the Health Promotion Agency [PDF, 125 KB]
- Guidelines on Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design [PDF, 1139 KB]
If you have any questions in regard to applying for an On- licence, please contact us.