An off-licence allows the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises e.g. bottle stores and supermarkets. Some hotels and taverns may hold both an off and on-licence.
Forms for licence applications have been updated. Please ensure you use the latest version on this website.
- Application Form for Off Licence [PDF, 1404 KB]
- Guidelines for Off Licence Application [PDF, 1028 KB]
- Application and Information for Certificate of Compliance [PDF, 85 KB]
An information sheet is available that details how to make an application.
Local Alcohol Policy
Selwyn District Council has had a Local Alcohol Policy [PDF, 116 KB] in place as of 24th April 2017.
Requirements for Off Licences
Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act there are criteria that your business must meet before a new or renewed licence can be issued. These include the suitability of the applicant, the hours proposed, the design and layout of the premises, and whether the amenity and good order of the locality will be affected by the business. The application form details the information that needs to be provided as part of the application.
- Criteria for Issue of New On and Off Licences - Information Sheet [PDF, 34 KB]
- Criteria for Renewal of On and Off Licences - Information Sheet [PDF, 34 KB]
Types of Premises That Can Hold an Off Licence
The Act specifies which types of premises can have an Off-Licence. Premises that cannot have an off-licence include petrol stations, garages, conveyances, dairies and convenience stores. Grocery stores that mainly sell food products may have an Off-Licence.
Promotion and Display of Alcohol
There are strict rules on the advertising and promotion of alcohol outside the premises which mean you cannot advertise free alcohol, promote discounts of more than 25%, or offer prizes if customers buy alcohol.
- Alcohol Licensing - Information Sheet [PDF, 53 KB]
- Information about the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act on the Ministry of Justice website
- Read the full Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
- Sale of Alcohol Fees and Charges
- Guidance on Alcohol Promotions by the Health Promotion Agency [PDF, 125 KB]
- Guidelines on Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design [PDF, 1139 KB]
If you have any questions in regard to applying for an Off-Licence, please contact us.