General information about alcohol Off Licences, and the application form.

An off-licence allows the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises e.g. bottle stores and supermarkets. Some hotels and taverns may hold both an off and on-licence.


Forms for licence applications have been updated. Please ensure you use the latest version on this website.

Information Sheets

An information sheet is available that details how to make an application.

Local Alcohol Policy

Selwyn District Council has had a Local Alcohol Policy [PDF, 116 KB] in place as of 24th April 2017.

Requirements for Off Licences

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act there are criteria that your business must meet before a new or renewed licence can be issued. These include the suitability of the applicant, the hours proposed, the design and layout of the premises, and whether the amenity and good order of the locality will be affected by the business. The application form details the information that needs to be provided as part of the application.

Types of Premises That Can Hold an Off Licence

The Act specifies which types of premises can have an Off-Licence. Premises that cannot have an off-licence include petrol stations, garages, conveyances, dairies and convenience stores. Grocery stores that mainly sell food products may have an Off-Licence.

Promotion and Display of Alcohol

There are strict rules on the advertising and promotion of alcohol outside the premises which mean you cannot advertise free alcohol, promote discounts of more than 25%, or offer prizes if customers buy alcohol.

Related Links

If you have any questions in regard to applying for an Off-Licence, please contact us.