District Licensing Committee
Each territorial authority (Council) must appoint a District Licensing Committee (DLC) to manage alcohol licensing matters within its district. The DLC is deemed to be a Commission of Inquiry. It also acts to provide information to the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (ARLA).
Functions of the DLC include:
- hearing and determining applications for licences and managers’ certificates
- determining temporary authority applications (on/off-licences)
- varying, suspending or cancelling special licences
- referring applications to ARLA
- other functions conferred on it by any Act (s.187(h))
DLC members have terms of office of five years. A DLC hearing panel is made up of a chair and two members (out of eight appointed community members). Not every application requires a hearing. Where licensing applications receive no objections or opposition the Chairperson can form a quorum of one and hear the application on the papers.
The public may object to an application. Click on “Public Objection Form” to make a public objection.
Public Objection Form [PDF, 61 KB]
Our current DLC Membership
- Sue Griffin (Commissioner)
- Greg Clapp (Commissioner)
- Robin Killworth (Commissioner)
- Simon McDonnell (Commissioner)
- Gary Lee
- Tracy McIlraith
- Tanya Surrey