Where to walk the dog – rules clarified on Coles Fields
Content Archived on the Web
This content has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please check our menus for latest news items.
Last modified: 29 Jul 2020 10:25am
In Selwyn we have over 13,500 dogs!
It’s important to remember when exercising our dogs in public areas we are keeping them and others safe.
Selwyn has some off-leash dog exercise areas including fully-fenced dog parks in Rolleston and Leeston and authorised reserves or parks, but unless you’re in one these areas, all dogs need to be on-leash when out for a walk or run.
One particular area of concern is Coles Fields subdivision in Rolleston. This is a strictly on-leash area. We have been made aware of a number of issues with dogs being exercised off-leash in this area, so please ensure your dog is on its leash when being exercised here.
Benefits to dogs being on-leash include:
- it’s a good way to bond and create companionship with your dog
- it prevents your dog from wandering onto other people’s property or the road
- you have the ability to quickly remove it from potentially negative situations
- it prevents your dog from finding or eating potentially hazardous things
- it protects other wildlife, such as birds.
You can find a full list of authorised off-leash reserves, parks and domains in the current bylaw [PDF, 361 KB]. It’s important to ensure that regardless of where you are, that your dog is under effective control at all times.