New sign unveiled at historic Lincoln railway bridge
Content Archived on the Web
This content has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please check our menus for latest news items.
Last modified: 01 Dec 2022 10:32am
A piece of Lincoln’s rail history was acknowledged in the town this month, at the unveiling of a new history sign.
Representatives from the Selwyn District Council and Lincoln and Districts Historical Society gathered at the nearly 150-year-old Lincoln Railway Bridge on 22 November as the sign was installed.
The bridge was built in 1874 as part of the Christchurch to Southbridge branch railway line. The railway dramatically changed Lincoln as it grew to become an important railway junction.
Road improvements, increased car ownership and the dropping of road freight charges in the 1960s saw the Southbridge branch line close, and eventually the Lincoln railway station closed in 1966.
Black and white photographs of the Lincoln railway station, a timetable from 1927 and a Christchurch to Lincoln train ticket are included on the sign, along with a timeline and history of the railway.
The project was a collaboration between Lincoln and Districts Historical Society, NZ Railway & Locomotive Society, and Selwyn District Council.